all posts post new thread

Strong Endurance Clarification on Slow fibres hypertrophy protocols

PeterLuffman

Level 5 Valued Member
In the manual there's two options for slow fibres hypertrophy, method 17 and method 18.

I'm looking at the descriptions and trying to work out why you would choose one over the other?

17 uses the repeat method and 18 used the interval-serial method, and it looks like you do more total volume with method 17.

So am I right in thinking to use method 17 for more pronounced results? Can anyone shed any light on this?

So, I am currently re-reading the strong endurance manual. And I recall a line from Q&D, 10x10 deliver. But they can be improved upon.

It would seem that the way these would stack up against each other is that template 18 would concentrate the stressors during a series. While template 17 would not concentrate it in that way, it may allow for a greater amount of total work, because the stressors would be more evenly distributed across the session.

I would start with 17 for a couple weeks, and then try 18 format to compare. Now, Especially if you're test driving the protocols for differences, dial down the volume and up the rests as much as you can, to start. Be attentive, and take notes.

My guess, from some experience with sampling other templates is that bigger volumes under template 17 will become a uniquely valuable session, and moderate volumes under template 18 will be uniquely valuable sessions.

However...

In my experience the repeat methods have panned out better for me so far. I think that's to do with my young training age, and my body's ability to tolerate the loading during the session and recover from it afterwards. I believe that in time the interval methods will shine. But, that'll be in correlation with my further development.

So, I'll suggest that as to the mere total volume (under either format), as a dose to elicit a response; it is not always obvious which will work for you. The way it's packaged in sets reps and series, will also make a difference in how it fits into where you are now and where you're headed, and it is up to you to gauge it.

Do you take a big gulp of very intense work and allow it to dissipate? Or do you take smaller bites of less intense work? I bet if you equalize the protocols for overall density, and volume you still end up with a unique effect.

Last edited:
On further reading of the manual, it would seem that method 18 will elevate the HR giving an added aerobic effect in that respect. Albeit a very short one as the series calls for no more than 3 exercises and you are to go 30 seconds on, 30 off. So its only 3 minutes of work per series on the top end, separated by 8-10 mins rest between series.

I'm also being guided by recommendations from Joel Jamieson who describes this method in his outstanding book ultimate MMA conditioning. He advises to do 3-4 exercises, for sets of 8-12 reps, taking 40-60 secs rest between exercises in the circuit, and 6-8 mins rest between rounds of the circuit.

Today I did 3 sets of 12 of Squat, push up, RDL and Bent over row taking adequate rest periods. It was quite exhausting come the end of the session.

Today I did 3 sets of 12 of Squat, push up, RDL and Bent over row taking adequate rest periods. It was quite exhausting come the end of the session.
you can, if you feel like you have room for it, pad the last sets - with continuing till refusal.

Back
Top Bottom