all posts post new thread

Getting Artificially Strong (and complaining about Cardio)

7/6
Hatfield Squat - 315#
3x5

Today
Giant 1.1 W2D2 30kg
5 rounds

Three rounds off my PR, still feeling wrecked from being sick. I’m taking next week off giant, hoping to be better recovered when I hit it again.

Giant 1.1 W2D3 30kgs
7 rounds

Three rounds off my PR, but expected. It took me four f****** weeks to do week 2 lol. I think I’m recovered from the sickness just having to recoup my work capacity that died, but by 1.2 I think I’ll be back to okay.

I did some workouts on the cruise but they were all with machines so I didn’t log them. Man, I wish I had the dough to have a techno gym assortment of machines though, that high row and press machine were A1.

Giant 1.1 W3D1 30kg
11 rounds

Two rounds off my PR, but feeling slightly better. Heart rate is still spiking and work capacity is shot, but I think I should be back to normal ish in a couple weeks. Going to start cardio again which is really going to suck.

On Saturday I worked up to a 330# squat single just to shake out some cobwebs.

Hatfield Squat 320#
2x5, 1x6

Squats feeling good. Still being a bitch and skipping my cardio. I’ll start Thursday no matter what, just know how much it sucks after this long of a break.

I cannot decide what to do with my squats at the end of this Giant run. I think I’ll be out of the LP phase, but there’s so many options. Currently mulling around Hepburn, Doug Young and 5/3/1 for some classic progressions. Whatever it is, I want it to be like Giant where I just set and forget for the next year and a half.

Giant 1.1 W3D2 30kgs
7 rounds

One round more than the previous week, one round off my PR. I think 8 next week is very doable!

Giant 1.1 W3D3 30kgs
9 rounds

One round off my PR, I was pacing for it but around halfway I started to fall apart. Pretty tough finish.

My Thursday ultimatum also fell apart because I forgot I had to be at work late with an event. Tomorrow! Cardio for sure.

You are a certified legend. I still can’t believe you’ve run Giant so co distantly for so long. I’d be so interested to hear about your initial start weight, where you are now, and what effects you (and people in your life) have noticed… are you much more conditioned/stronger/more muscular? Do tell!

Hatfield Squat - 325# 2x5, 1x8

Fan Bike 10//1:00/1:00 136 cals

Super happy with 8 reps, I may have had a couple more but I didn’t want to chance it with the squat stands. Excited for next week because 330# is three plates for the SSB. Survived the cardio, didn’t do as poorly as I expected but this was also just one of those great gym days.

You are a certified legend. I still can’t believe you’ve run Giant so co distantly for so long. I’d be so interested to hear about your initial start weight, where you are now, and what effects you (and people in your life) have noticed… are you much more conditioned/stronger/more muscular? Do tell!

Thanks man!

I’ve kind of stayed the same weight (230s), at one point I cut twenty pounds but I slowly gained it back. I am much larger/muscular at the same weight, I’ve gone from a 48 jacket size to being on the cusp of 52. The coolest part and I do it all the time when I’m at home alone is when I reach upwards and can feel my delts squeezing my head lol.

For what others have noticed hard because my wife is my biggest cheerleader so I can’t go by what she says. I did have a neighbor tell her I looked like Mr Incredible back when I was jogging and my coworkers were arguing if I was buff or fat nowadays. (Improvement from just fat lol)

I’m definitely way stronger in the overhead press than I’ve ever been. My lifetime PR for overhead press is 154# and the way I’m handling 132# in kettlebells tells me I could blast that out of the water if I ever retest it. I also don’t ever run into any physical tasks in my daily life that I’m not strong enough to handle. I can throw around a half keg in a walk in like it’s nothing.

Giant 1.1 W4D1 30kg
12 rounds

One round off my PR! I’m pretty happy with this recovery, 13 may have been possible but I didn’t go for it. A mixture of 30% humidity and my back getting fatigued got me to give up on the dream.

Hatfield Squat 330#
2x5, 1x10

Thrilled with this, didn’t see ten happening at all. I keep thinking I’m at the end of the LP but it seems to keep going.

Giant 1.1 W4D2 30kg
8 Rounds

Hit my PR!!! Pretty high RPE, but it was last time I hit it too. Feel like I’m finally back. New goals for this rep scheme is make the 8s a lower RPE with a stretch goal of 9 rounds. Not looking super forward to the 9s but they’re the punishment and reward starting next week.

On my squat programming, I came across this by Bromley and it has me thinking of running Giant concurrently on my squats. Similarly when I started my Giant run I had been delving into Dan John and he said “It worked so well I stopped doing it” which felt like the logic I was using if I stopped Giant. If density and auto regulation is such a game changer for me with C&P, shouldn’t I give it a shot for squats?

Bit worried about the volume, that’s the main hang up currently.

I guess it’s a bit funny I keep taking coaches advice and use it to not run their programming lol

Attachments

• 84B82320-4AAE-4235-A0E7-15ED5A631E56.jpeg
    84B82320-4AAE-4235-A0E7-15ED5A631E56.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 7
Giant 1.1 W4D3 30kg
9 Rounds

Still one round away from my PR, but I have another shot on

Got my power rack delivered today. Dragging the horse stall mats in the gym and bringing in all those boxes was a second workout lol. Almost done building it, let’s just say it’s on brand!

Giant 1.2 W1D1 30kg
9 rounds

Man, that PR of 10 is just elusive af right now. I was on pace till the 12th minute and just sort of fell apart. I have a feeling the 9s will get me back there.

I put up a new squat rack this weekend, the squat stands were getting a bit too sketchy. I enjoy how “on brand” the brand was for me lol.

Attachments

• FFCAC0C8-6B0E-4319-AD1C-A32EFE5DC1BF.jpeg
    FFCAC0C8-6B0E-4319-AD1C-A32EFE5DC1BF.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 5
Dry Fighting Squats - 330#
5 Ladders

Decided to run DFW with just squats for four weeks, if this programming feels viable, I plan to run Giant for squats.

Didn’t really push it today in hopes to not get too sore and ease into higher volume.

Giant 1.2 W1D2 30kgs
6 rounds

I managed 4 rounds in the first 16 minutes, then fell off a cliff and got two in the remaining 14 minutes. I got an absolutely crazy bicep pump, the kind that’s uncomfortable and it knocked me down pretty good on my pacing. It’s funny how all three weights have have a unique weak link, 24kg was shoulders, 60# was forearms and 30kg has been biceps. Clean is definitely the limiter here, I feel like if I can get it to the rack the press is a sure thing but that clean saps some energy.

Goal of 7 rounds, stretch goal of 8 rounds.

Dry Fighting Squats W1D2 330#
30 Rounds

Basically ran as an EMOM. Legs felt real tired at the start but warmed up and felt good. However, I don’t think I can treat these low rep squats as volume accumulators like I do with C&P. Between unracking, walking out, bracing, re racking, etc a single rep takes me over twenty seconds. Man was doing 30 singles tedious as well, felt it more in my upper back than legs towards the end.

We will see if my view changes next week with a bit more time in the program.

Giant 1.2 W1D3 30kg
8 rounds

Tied, but it moving to the third day took up the RPE again to tie. For the last five minutes I had an absolute mental war on whether or not to attempt #8 but eventually I gave in and survived it.

Dry Fighting Squats W1D3 330#
20 rounds

Still not pushing it, my legs definitely feel the fatigue but definitely my left leg. It was like RPE8 while my left leg cruised at around RPE6 lol.

First week of thoughts on DFS, squatting is nowhere near as fun as C&P. The thirty minutes is way way way more tedious.

Giant 1.2 W2D1 30kg
9 rounds

Another week, another 9 rounds. I set a serious PR when I hit that 10 rounds. This week the RPE was lower however, despite my house not having AC even. 10 might be in the cards again, two weeks to try.

Back
Top Bottom