all posts post new thread

Nutrition Cold pressed juice

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Neuro-Bob

Level 10 Valued Member
Always looking for ways to carry good quality food on the road, I’ve recently come across cold pressed juices.

My perspective is from an airline pilot carrying a cooler bag on a 3 or 4 day trip. My cooler bag is limited by total volume capacity. On this trip I’ve taken two salad kits from Trader Joe’s, two yogurts, and one cold pressed juice, and that maxes out the capacity (the equivalent of three meals and 2 snacks). I could rather take 20 boiled eggs, 4 yogurts, and some deli meat and get 6-8 meals with 4 snacks. So I’m looking at cold pressed juice as a way to get the plants without sacrificing volume.

They tend to be 100% pure juice from the fruit itself, squeezed out through hydraulic press then going through a cold/high pressure pasteurization system. The key is that it’s a cold process, so the claim is that less of the nutrients (except fiber) are lost in the juicing process than a normal heated pasteurization.

Does anyone have thoughts/opinions on whether they are worthwhile?

I know they are kind of FAD-ish. Id assume it ranks somewhere between the real/actual vegetable and a bottle of Welch’s grape juice.

Last edited:
There's a cold, pressed shop not far from my house I hit up from time to time when it's hot (now). I'm a fan but I do try and limit how often I have it due to the sugar. I realize it is all natural, I'm just not a huge sugar fan. They are amazing during the hot months.

Don't know about the "cold press". My juicer at home doesn't really generate any heat. A cold apple in the juicer gives some cold apple juice.

I you can, buy or make smoothies instead. Smoothie meaning the whole fruit, blended in water. So you get the fibre and the non water soluble flavors and vitamins.

Otherwise "juice" has just as many calories, and is just as "nutritious" as the same amount of coca-cola and a multivitamin. Especially in the U.S with coca-cola having high-fructose corn-syrup in it and fruit having... fructose. (In Europe cola is made with sucrose).

A smoothie made from say... fresh strawberries, a banana and milk has a lot more protein, fibres, vitamins and doesn't spike your blood sugar as much.

Getting used to drinking sugary drinks with your food is a quick way to obesity and diabetes. :oops:

If it's volume in your bag that's a limiting factor, why not drink tea, coffee or water from the plane and take with you some extra food?

Don't know about the "cold press". My juicer at home doesn't really generate any heat. A cold apple in the juicer gives some cold apple juice.

I you can, buy or make smoothies instead. Smoothie meaning the whole fruit, blended in water. So you get the fibre and the non water soluble flavors and vitamins.

Otherwise "juice" has just as many calories, and is just as "nutritious" as the same amount of coca-cola and a multivitamin. Especially in the U.S with coca-cola having high-fructose corn-syrup in it and fruit having... fructose. (In Europe cola is made with sucrose).

A smoothie made from say... fresh strawberries, a banana and milk has a lot more protein, fibres, vitamins and doesn't spike your blood sugar as much.

Getting used to drinking sugary drinks with your food is a quick way to obesity and diabetes. :oops:

If it's volume in your bag that's a limiting factor, why not drink tea, coffee or water from the plane and take with you some extra food?
I guess you have not heard about water on airplanes....I don’t recommend being a regular airplane coffee drinker, though I have it when necessary. Maybe Once per day, but I prefer the bottled water instead.

How would you make a smoothie and store it for travel? I know of many store-made smoothie options that really aren’t the best case scenario....

Haven't flown long distance in over two decades. A lot of bacteria in the water storage tanks on planes or to much chlorine?

Aeum... store it in a shaker? Don't know of the making part... but any decent hotel must have a well equipped kitchen and if you're a regular it wouldn't be such a big ask to use a blender for 1min?
Or buy a battery powered stick blender?
What's wrong with the store bought smoothies? The ones you can get here tastes fine, just expensive...
accblendltd_right-pdp2018.png

as @Dekapon said, I think cold pressed juices are a good idea for vegetables, but not so much for fruit. You are drinking the sugar without the fiber. Dont they have those juices made of vegetables only?

I drink a lot of vegetable and fruit smoothies, but I keep all the fiber of both. My favorite vegetable to use is spinach.

@Dekapon basically there is no way to get inside the water tank on a plane and give it a thorough scrub down. So how do they know it needs to be cleaned? Periodically gets tested, and when it no longer passes environmental inspection they basically dump a bunch of bleach down there. Stick to bottled/canned water if you are on a plane regularly....

I’ve got a couple of those shakers and I think They’d put me in the “is the volume worth the quality” scenario compared. I like the idea, just need to look into other ways of solving the issue.

@Oscar to be honest I’m not so concerned about fruit, it’s vegetables that would be the target

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom