all posts post new thread

Old Forum Dan John's Strength Standards

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

The Scientist

Level 3 Valued Member
A question for Dan John, or anyone else that has insight:

After reading Easy Strength and Intervention, I made the goal of reaching all of Dan's "Game Changer" strength standards. What struck me as odd is that for both the squat and bench press, the "game changer" number is bodyweight x 15. This seems like a fairly easy target for the squat ( I could probably do it now), but a much higher standard for the bench (maybe only 2-3 reps right now). This seems backward to me, given that Dan places so much importance on the squat otherwise, and downplays the importance of pressing movements. So the question is, why is the bench standard so much higher relative to the squat?

why is the bench standard so much higher relative to the squat?

speculation:

a)big picture. without the rest of the standards, we cannot really evaluate how these two fit in.

b)kind of squat. bwx15 in a pl style low bar squat would be easy. olympic style high bar would be harder. ft squat every bit as tough as the bench press standard (but rough on some wrists). bw kb ft squat x 15? enjoy!

ah ha! should have done this search prior to responding--will shed some light:

http://danjohn.net/2013/04/strength-standards-sleepless-in-seattle/

He is talking about the back squat. I squat high bar, and after 9 months of it, I can hit BWx15 (205). Benching 205 x 15 feels like it could take me at least another 9 months or more to hit. I'm not saying it is not a decent goal, it just seems like the standard for the squat would have been given higher priority.

BW x 15 is roughly equal to 1.5 x bodyweight x 1, if memory serves.   That would be my choice to chase as opposed to 15 reps @ bw.

Most things I've read suggest that one's bench press and front squat are often pretty close to the same - I know mine are.  So if you switch to the front squat, you'll have your matching challenges. :)

-S-

Actually, most "wired and fired" athletes can get those 15 in the bench pretty easily.

Standards: try to have some...any. My old standards...an 18 year old boy should Clean and Jerk 319 were pretty good, too, but it was too deep of a line.

So, you have to come up with something. Then, use it as a way to explain to the athlete that "enough is enough."

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom