all posts post new thread

Old Forum Dance Training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

DanceCoach

First Post
I am an Irish dance coach to girls ages 8 - 18. I am looking for some guidance in creating a strength and flexibility plan for my students.

Over the past two years I have had the students working with kettle bells, squats, plyo boxes, a vertimax, weights, skipping rope, etc. Irish dance is an extremely competitive sport and I am always looking for whatever edge I can get.

After hearing Pavel’s latest discussion with Tim Ferris, I am convinced I am not training in the most effective manner possible and most likely just wasting time and energy trying to get the results needed.

I’d like to inquire about the possibility of discussing a training plan with Pavel the would be suited to the Irish dance style.

Devin, Pavel's latest work, Kettlebell Simple & Sinister, could work for you.  I might have your students focus on the program during a lull in your dance year, e.g. a time when there aren't a lot of performances on the horizon.  Then, when their practice becomes more intense, scale S&S back just as the book suggest to only a few times each week.

If you don't own S&S you should start by purchasing that.

-S-

Thanks Steve. I am looking to find something very structured, covering strengthening the muscles the dancers need as well as flexibility and mobility.

I refer you to pages 2-3 of the S&S book.  If you'd like me to quote a paragraph or two, I will.

-S-

Devin,

Let's start with a "needs analysis" - What do your dancers need?

Do you perform any movement or performance testing with your dancers?

Common injuries

Training load - including dance practice etc...

A map or GPS will only get you where you want to go if you know where you are starting and where you want to end up.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom