all posts post new thread

Old Forum doing ROP with barbell clean and press?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

shmiggins

Level 5 Valued Member
Hey guys and gals,

Was just after some thought on wether it would be ok to replace the kettlebell clean and press with a barbell clean and press. The gym I am using only has 20kg kettle bells and thought I wouldn't be able to progress in press strength much past that once I hit it. Perhaps people have any suggestions on a different program which uses double bells??

Cheers Jason.

Where are you at now and what is your ultimate goal? Is it pressing half your bodyweight and completing the 200 rep snatch test in 10 minutes?

At the moment I have just had 6 months off the bells due to a shoulder injury from sport, I have been physio cleared and have been doing the pm for about 2 months now, saying that I can still press my 32kg bell when I'm at home(I work away from home for 4 weeks and 1 week at home) for 1 rep each side fairly strict. My goal is to be strong and extremely fit as I will be trying out to become a firefighter. So yes I'd love to be able to press half my body weight and complete the 200 in 10 min snatch test.

Jason, if you read both ETK and ROTK, you’ll learn why this might not be good. The risk is too much load on your lower back – the one-arm press is well-suited to the ROP, and the programs in ROTK should be your guide for double kettlebell work. Neither is exactly a proper guide for barbell work but ROTK would, IMHO, be closer for the reason mentioned above. The barbell also enforces a stricter groove, another reason in my mind not to try the ROP's volume with a barbell.

ROTK with double 20′s might be worth a try if it’s an appropriate weight for you – doubles are harder than singles.

Best of luck.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom