all posts post new thread

Old Forum Doing strength AND endurance for military

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Conor G

First Post
Hi guys

So, heres whats up. I love strength training with the squat, bench press, deadlift, shoulder press and pull ups.  Always have, Always will. Im going into the military later on in the year and while I know strength training will be helpful, I know it is not the only tool I need.

I need to improve my endurance for military tests . ( Muscular endurance and cardio) and I want to do it in such a way where I can keep up my strength training. Pavel states clearly that the build up of hydrogen ions in the muscle tissue (Pump) is from high reps and low weight, so this is inevitable with these bodyweight exercises and also states that they have a very bad effect on strength training. Anyone know how I can mix strength and endurance? My idea was to just continue strength training with slightly tapered volume, and always do endurance work AFTER strength work and then continue light endurance work throughout the day, much like his "Hit the deck" program in power to the people.

Has he written any books to help about these kind of topics?

Thank you everyone who read and answered this,  please give me your ideas peepz :)

Conor

Why not just do S&S and work with kettlebells? They're GREAT for endurance, and as far as I can see from my recent reading, will not harm your strength at all either. If you are doing serious strength work you just don't do swings etc. as often as you would if it was your sole exercise.

I generally just do powerlifting type strength work, but have added in kettlebells now, thanks to Pavel :) (Haven't been doing it long, but I can already see the improvements in endurance).

Conor,

First, it will be more difficult for you in your transition from citizen to Soldier if you use the word "peepz" to refer to peers, than if you lack physical endurance; so take a minute to get your priorities straight...

Two, you will have to give up strength work for some time until you are assigned to a unit after intital training.  You can pick it back up then.

That said, to physically prep for training, use a general program, like an S&S-style template, but use both 2-h and 1-h swings, and push the swings out to 20-30 min before increasing loads.  Plan to do one long run per week, and frequently practice push ups and pull ups, but "infrequent" sit ups (to maintain familiarity with the movement), and squat to have the ability to deep-knee bend.  Depending upon which branch of service, you may want to get under load on the road.  You can do a very dialed down version of your current strength training program, just don't make it the focus.

Thanks for the ideas guys! oh, and didnt mean to offend anyone by saying "Peepz",  if I did.

Which branch and what military specialty are you looking for?  The "military" spans the spectrum from Army Rangers to computer operators.

Conor - http://www.strongfirst.com/hardening-the-soldier-for-combat/

by Al Ciampa. Ticks the box for you. Also Al has just released a manual, expanding on similar themes, which is available from him. There was a recent thread 'pt manual' with  details. Ticks all the boxes.

Mike prevost- I am going through recruit training, and after that I will be in infantry. In the future, I would then go for the ARW (rangers) once I have enough experience. This is military in Ireland by the way.

Alistair linford- thank you my friend! really helpful!

I would want very good run durability and strong stable shoulders and back.  Lots of easy, frequent running will serve you well.  I would keep it at a "steady" pace.  Steady is not easy/recovery pace but it is not hard at all either.  It is a comfortable pace.  Keep it steady and run frequently, daily if possible.  Take it in small chunks.  The body recovers better from taking it in small peices.   For example, it is easier to recover from 5 runs of 6 miles each (30 miles) than 3 runs of 10 miles each.  Consistency is going to be the key.  This is the way to build run durability, which you are going to need tons of for Ranger training.  I would also want strong shoulders and grip strength and a strong back.  Kettlebell swings and getups would serve you well (S&S would be pretty good and would work well with running).  I would consider substituting one run per week with a ruck.  DO NOT RUN WITH A RUCK in training.  Save it for Ranger selection.  Your #1 goal is to build durability.  Fitness will be a by-product of the durability.  Keep it simple.  I would also work on push-up volume through grease the groove training.  Never go to failure.  Some pull-up work is also a good idea.  There are lots of ways to do this.  One example:

Push ups Mon-Friday grease the groove (i.e., start with 50 per day and work to 300/day)

Mon: S&S + pull up ladders, AM, PM easy run

Tues: Run

Wed: S&S + pull up ladders AM, PM easy run

Thurs: Run

Fri: S&S + pull up ladders AM

Sat: Ruck

Sun: Off, sleep

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom