all posts post new thread

Old Forum Double KB press shoulder mobility

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

lsalasl

Level 5 Valued Member
If shoulder mobility is good enough to train double military press but the elbow isn't fully straight at lockout, will training the double presses gradually correct the mobility issues? Also, any recommended mobility work?

I would get a Functional Movement Screen and go from there.

Better to work on mobility via your single press until you're ready for the double.  Pavel mentions, in the original kettlebell book, that it's good to pause at the top and lean forward from the chest a little, this as contrasted with trying to get your shoulder or the bell back further.  I like this drill and usually end every set that way, e.g., if you're doing 5 reps, do this at the top of the 5th rep before lowering the bell.

Also try to straighten out your body under your single press - video or even a still picture of your lockout can give you an idea if you're leaning away from the bell.

-S-

This is one of the very rare occasions where I will disagree with Steve. I find the double press, programmed and progressed properly, with appropriate volume, to be an excellent way to improve shoulder mobility, in a way that the single press usually is not.

For mobility work, you owe it to yourself to pick up a copy of David Whitley's book "Taming the Bent Press". Even if you have no interest in the bent press itself, the mobility exercises given there are absolutely first rate; I have yet to see anything better. That plus get ups, and appropriate programming, are all you need.

Thanks for the ideas. I'm confident that my mobility is close enough to start what I want to do (a cycle or two of Total Tension Complex, taking it easy on the presses), but I may try the drill Steve mentioned in the future. Glad to hear that double presses can potentially improve mobility. Taming the Bent Press is on my list; I'll get a copy and go from there.

Jason, the right answer is always, "It depends."  For some, double pressing will improve shoulder and t-spine mobility and for others it will be too much.  It goes back to one of our core training concepts - find an appropriate challenge, not something that's difficult to do even once in good form, and go from there.

I like an empty stick or a rubber band and doing dislocates and overhead squats - I feel there's less room to hide a mobility problem there and, as you said about double presses, the OHS is a movement that, for me, seems to help improve my shoulder and t-spine mobility.

Thank you for offering a counterpoint - always welcomed and always appreciated.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom