all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Doubles with different weights

morning_star

Level 1 Valued Member
I’d like to do double kb work at some point. I’m still working on mastering singles.

I have the following bells: 15lb, 30lb, 44lb (20kg), 53lb (24kg).

I’d like to avoid buying more bells for a bit …

Anyone have experience or a take on doing double kb work with bells of different weights.

I’d likely start with , C+P and double front squats.

Open to any additional advice on transitioning from single to double work.

(Other context: I am working towards timeless simple but going to take my time and make lots of detours to maximize the bells I already have.)

I do, it works just fine. Try to keep it to a 4kg difference or less and switch bells/hands every set. The goal is to get more overall weight being lifted and fire up the CNS, this does it. I have single bells from 16-40k (missing a 36k actually) and I’ve avoided buying doubles successfully. I’m considering getting a nice adjustable bell to match up with all of them. I have a cheap one that i can load up to 24k currently but like the new comp ones from titan etc.
I’ve heard from experienced and respected trainers that it is fine as well and that it makes your body balance and stabilize more.

I have a simple-ish set of bells.

16, 24, 32, 40, and 48kg.

One of my most productive cycles (maybe I should run it again) was with Pressing and front squatting my 32+24kg bells for 5/5.

To me, it is at least 5% awkward; the way the bells swing and clean is slightly different. But, after I got the hang of it, I just switched the bells from left to right or walked around to the opposite sides of the bells; between sets. whichever was easier (depending on the space I was using)

If (and or) When you get around to it, start trying some singles just to get the hang of it. After you get a taste of the asymmetry, I imagine you'll adjust to it naturally.

Last edited:
Try to keep it to a 4kg difference or less and switch bells/hands every set.
These 2 are the best pieces of advice you can get really. After all, you're moving some weight applying some force, so there's nothing wrong in mismatched weights except for the 2 points above:

- switching at every set ensures you keep the load balanced between sides (and no need to be 100% strict, either keep track so for the next session you balance it out or always ensure your extra reps are added to your weaker side for added catch-up benefits)
- keep the weight displacement narrow: double cleaning or double snatching a 16 and a 24kg requires you to apply different forces and instinctively you'll be drawn to apply a force powerful enough to move the heavier load, eventually overshooting the lighter one; it's really awkward and potentially dangerous

Mixed Doubles are a nice challenge both mentally and physically. If you go back into some of the older books you will find programs for this specifically. 4kg difference is a safety must for just starting out.
verily, there are good reasons to practice with odd weight combinations. (at least from time to time)

I do it fairly often when I travel for work and local gyms don’t have a great kettlebell selection. 4kg is not really that noticeable. 8kgs is a bit much. I just switch hands each set. Pro tip: when switching hands, just switch the side of the kettlebells you are standing on as opposed to actually switching the bells.

I completely agree with all the advice above, however I’d also suggest erring on the side of caution with weight and volume when initially transitioning to doubles. While learning and acquiring appropriate form with the double kettlebell lifts, there’s increased risk of injury if you have uneven load in each arm.

I recently navigated this, after having exclusively done single kettlebell work for 12+ months prior to deciding to transition to double kettlebell work on the tail end of last year. There have been two occasions during the three months I’ve been doing double work when i’ve felt minor tweaks/strains in my lower back - and both were when I was doing higher volume/load with uneven weight in each hand.

Both times I wished that I’d taken it easier so I didn’t have to miss sessions waiting for the back to mend.

I was surprised the 4kg difference did that, particularly when alternating between sets.

Thanks for your feedback everyone. My take away is that it's possible and likely useful + apply care and go slow.

I recently navigated this, after having exclusively done single kettlebell work for 12+ months prior to deciding to transition to double kettlebell work on the tail end of last year.
Thanks for sharing this. It was a good reminder that my strength journey to double will likely take a few years. I'm building my foundation now (after a shoulder injury from single swings) and taking it slow.

For now I'll incorporate carries with different weights + lots of dead lifts in the next few months. The article above that you shared @Adachi was super helpful and has given me some programming ideas.

Progress with patience! Appreciate you all chiming in.

Thanks for your feedback everyone. My take away is that it's possible and likely useful + apply care and go slow.

Thanks for sharing this. It was a good reminder that my strength journey to double will likely take a few years. I'm building my foundation now (after a shoulder injury from single swings) and taking it slow.

For now I'll incorporate carries with different weights + lots of dead lifts in the next few months. The article above that you shared @Adachi was super helpful and has given me some programming ideas.

Progress with patience! Appreciate you all chiming in.
I have single bells and have found to solutions for doing doubles: the first one is to do uneven bells. 4 kg works perfect. I did a clean and press program with uneven bells last year and worked great.

The second solution is to add 4 kg plates with a ratchet strap to make them even. I have used 2.5 + 1.25 kg. Worked great also. I have even done double snatches this way.

About programming, if you are doing S&S, feel free to play doing doubles without programming. Just to get a feel of it. I love doing this before engaging fully in a rigid program

Back
Top Bottom