all posts post new thread

Old Forum Easy Strength / Weightlifting

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JamesO

Level 5 Valued Member
I've resisted posting this topic for a few weeks because I'm still not sure if it's the road I want to walk, but after my triathlon in Sept, I've been considering spending the fall and early winter on weightlifting.  I spent a chunk of time on the platform before law school, but the workouts were long and hard, 6 days per week.  If I decide to spend some time in it again, I'd like to adopt an Easy Strength approach and only work on clean and jerk since it has more bang for the buck, easier on my shoulders, and I don't plan to compete.

The model I've thought of as of now is to row for 1000 yards, followed by Joe Mills classic 20/20 program, which starts light and does one lift per minute for 20 minutes.  Most reps are below 80% with 5 above.  I've enjoyed it in the past because it develops confidence and technique.  Also seems to fit well with what Pavel and Geoff Neupert have written recently about intensity (Pavel) and shorter workouts (Geoff).

- 70%, five singles
- 73%, five more singles
- 78%, five more singles
- +3%, one single
- +3%, one single
- +3%, one single
- +3%, one single
- +3%, one single

When you can do all 20 without missing, move the starting weight up 3%.

I need help finding a place to insert kettlebell play to continue practicing KB technique, and two or three 3-4 mile runs.

How would you piece this together?

Forgot to say I'd do Mills 2x/week.

Mon: Run?
Tues: 1000m row (or KB), Mills C&J
Wed: Run?
Thurs: 1000m row (or KB), Mills C&J
Fri: Run?

James, I can't comment on the particulars of your program design but I can offer one suggestion based on what you've said - I wouldn't row before you train your Olympic lifts unless the purpose of the rowing isn't cardio/strength/endurance but rather just warming up.

The order of things in a mixed-mode workout is explosive, then grinds, then endurance, and heavy weights before light ones.   Since Olympic lifting is explosive and uses heavy weights, that pretty much dictates that it start any exercise session in which it's included.

We should also say that you need a clear goal.   It's not clear to me from your posts if your focus is still triathlon, or weightlifting, or something else.  Don't think about "if it’s the road I want to walk", think about the place you want to be at the end of that road and then we can help you find a way to get there.

-S-

Thanks, Steve.

You're correct - the row would be to loosen up and get warm.  A 1000m row that feels like a 7 out of 10 in terms of effort takes me about 4 minutes.

As far as goals, about a month ago during a hike I started thinking about how nice it would be to do some clean and jerks again.  The movement feels incredible.  I'd like to work back up to an intermediate lift - for me, that's 100k or so (<a title="Catalyst Athletics Level Chart" href="http://bit.ly/1mVM30d">http://bit.ly/1mVM30d</a>).

I've been following Kettlebell STRONG! during the tri process.  I'm just starting to hit that limit where it impacts the tri stuff - our tri plan is on the aggressive side - so I backed off a bit back to the re-start of the sets of 3.  I love the feel of the clean and press, but I'm always missing that squat piece.  I love the grad workout (2 cleans, 1 press, 3 squats), but don't think it's the best fit right now because the squat volume catches up.

Triathlon training is turning out to feel really nice.  I like the way I feel with such a strong aerobic base, and it opens the door to doing some more rugged stuff outdoors (we live an hour away from Yosemite).  My wife and I have been toying with the idea of doing a 1/2 Ironman next year, and training would start in Jan.  Developing my strength again this fall is just an appealing idea.  The TSC is also a cool goal, but the competition dates don't line up (and I feel like I could be competitive in the novice category it if I really gave myself to it).

James O,

Like Steve said, I would stick with a the end goal in mind and apply the KISS method to your Tri training. Clean & Jerks aren't really necessary for a Tri athlete and pushing for that Intermediate level should both be impacted by and impact your Tri training. That being said, a simple model for you to follow would be:

Mon: C&J Mills, Upper Body Pull.

Tue: Simple Sinister + SL Deadlifts

Wed: Correctives, Stretch, Recovery or Row for lite conditioning

Thur: C&J Mills, Upper Body Pull

Fri/Sat: Simple Sinister + SL Deadlifts

Training for a Tri event it exhausting enough, so less is definitely more in this case. Cleans are a quad loading animal, so be sure to strengthen your posterior chain with KB Swings (10x10 standard or dead stop swings 10x5) and Single Leg Deadlifts (Running). TGU's and Arm bars to open up  (biking) and strengthen the shoulders (Swimming). Possibly perform some renegade rows for Anti-Rotation (running) and Chin Ups (Corrective/Swim). With the amount of conditioning you're already doing, I don't see the point in the Rowing, but use it as a lite workout on recovery days. Active mobility drills and bar patterning alone should warm you up enough for C&J without having to row I think, but that's your personal call.  Mills program is good to slowly build technique and capacity/conditioning (for most, probably not you), but I would give yourself more rest between reps and follow a different program after three weeks, if you're serious about the 100k C&J.

Hope this helps,

Jeremy

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom