all posts post new thread

Nutrition Effects of statins (cholesterol-lowering medications) on strength?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Smile-n-Nod

Level 5 Valued Member
Does anyone have any knowledge on the effects of statins (medications that lower cholesterol) on strength?

Statins are very effective at lowering cholesterol in many people. However, there is a host of side effects, one of which is muscle pain or weakness.

Have you (gentle reader) noticed an increase in strength when stopping statins, or a decrease in strength when starting statins?

Good exercise program and proper nutrition probably much better than statins or whatever for 'metabolic syndrome' symptoms. I don't know how people take these drugs after reading the possible side effects. I also watch late-night tv some, and see all the ads for the lawsuits for drugs. The drugs are on prime-time to sell them for a few years, then on late-night for the lawsuits. haha

Without buying into the cholesterol debate too much, I've never been on statins.

I have read that statins can deplete ubiquinone (Co enzyme Q10) and ubiquinone plays an important role in energy production through the reduction of mitochondrial cytochrome oxidase activity.

Mitochondrial cytochrome oxidase plays an important role in ATP production, so it seems like there could be a connection to strength levels.

Hello,

Does anyone have any knowledge on the effects of statins (medications that lower cholesterol)
I am not into statins but I think good eating habits can be a good option. My father used to have cholesterol. He changed his diet with lower (meaning better) fat and now everything is just fine. He simply walks a lot.

I have read that statins can deplete ubiquinone (Co enzyme Q10) and ubiquinone plays an important role in energy production through the reduction of mitochondrial cytochrome oxidase activity.
I also read that but I do not remember where...

Not a pro but mitochondiral activity is like "the lung of a cell" so I guess that a decrease of its activity will lead to a lower energy level and a longer required recovery after an effort.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I have read that statins can deplete ubiquinone (Co enzyme Q10) and ubiquinone plays an important role in energy production through the reduction of mitochondrial cytochrome oxidase activity
I have started take a supplement for that, which is labelled CoQ10 (I also take a statin). I'll be interested to see if it has any effect on my strength or recovery.

Hello,

I am not sure effect on strength and recovery are fast. I'd see them more on a long term.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom