all posts post new thread

Old Forum farmers walks and loaded carries

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Erik Duarte

Level 1 Valued Member
The end of my workouts have included farmers walks with my two 70 lbs kettlebells or some form of loaded carry. In about three weeks I have noticed an improvement in grip strength, specifically in judo training. My gripping ability lasts significantly longer. I believe it is a very underrated movement and now my favorite.

Like Dan John says, find the fundamental movement pattern you're not training and start training it. Your performance will go up quickly. I always found that loaded carries always seemed to make the heavy bells seem normal and the smaller ones seem really light. They are just a great way to tie everything together and get your body used to load for extended periods.

If you want to do a really short and intense walk. Stack two bells in one hand and walk. Might have to start with just one hand deadlifts for a while. Difficult drill because of the thickness of the handles and b/c holding two forces the hand open more so your fingers don't get to curl around the handle  as much. Oh and be in a place you can drop them as your grip may give out faster than expected.

They are great.  I have been doing them for about a half mile.  walk 60-80 yards, rest and repeat.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom