all posts post new thread

Old Forum fat loss and strength gain

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

shawn smith

Level 1 Valued Member
My number one goal is fat loss.  A secondary goal is strength gain.

What do you guys think of a routine similar to something like this? Will it help me achieve these goals?  I currently can press the 44kg and my latest snatch test has me at 140 snatches with 24 in 10 min.  I don't want to lose my strength but I absolutely have to lose the fat.  I weighed 325 in January.  I weigh 280 today.  I am 6'1".  My diet has been inconsistent. Otherwise I believe I'd be down another 40 pounds or so already.  I've got to get better in that area for sure. I completed the program minimum, and then the rite of passage.  I'm just concerned that if I do the rite of passage again that I am mainly working strength/size and maybe not getting as much fat loss as possible.  Is that wrong or would I be best served by just moving up to the next sized bell and completing the rite of passage again?

MONDAY - 10 minutes - swings with double 24kgs plus 3 goblet squats every minute

2 complexes chosen from a litany of complexes from Pat Flynn's Chronicles of Strength site .  So, I do the 10 minutes of swings and gs, rest 2 minutes, do one 2-3 minute complex, rest 2 minutes, do another 2-3 minute complex.................Workout over in right at 20 minutes.

TUESDAY/THURSDAY - 5  clean/press ladders of 1,2,3 with 24kg and 32kg bells - doing most of the reps with the 32kg and some with the 24kg......................6 getups (3 on each side) with 24kg bell...........one 2-3 minute complex.............For this day, I will do the getups, 1 ladder, and the complex all at once, then spread the other 4 ladders out throughout the day - doing 1 ladder about every 2 hours.

WEDNESDAY: same as Monday

FRIDAY:  same as Monday/Wednesday, but substitute 1-arm snatches for swings.

I think you WILL lose strength as you lose the excess fat. 280 is still pretty heavy in my book so maybe you should mentally prepare for a bit of strength loss if, say, you manage to go down to 220. A swing heavy and complex heavy programme seems about right if fat loss is the main goal, and remember body recomposition is 80% diet.

so, do I have enough swings/complexes incorporated here? do I need to drop some of the grinds and add more ballistics?

Geoff Neupert's KB Burn Extreme is VERY effective.  I lost 17 pounds in a month by following everything to the T.

Since you already know that nutrition is the missing routine you need to establish I'd personally recommend continuing pursuing strength and let the weight come off as it should by learning how to eat in a healthy way.  I use to be 250 and now weigh 203 @ 6' 2" by learning how to eat right for my individual body.  Feel free to shoot me an email if you want the methodologies I've used:

zganska@me.com

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom