all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Festive training plans

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

DavThew

Level 6 Valued Member
I'm sure I won't be the only one travelling this holiday season, and needing to adjust training for a week or more to be able to continue making progress.

I will be heading up to Scotland on the 26th of December until just before the New Year. I'll be transporting up my stuff, as well as my girlfriends (we are visiting her family) and the obvious presents.
Having previously driven with a couple of KBs in the boot of my car I have seen what poor packing can do, it basically turned the KBs into millstones and ground down the stuff inside. (Thankfully nothing even slightly important at the time).
So I'm just going to take one KB with me. I'll be staying in a hotel as there isn't room to stay at the in-laws (my girlfriend having to share a bedroom with a 9 year old at the age of 29....I'm pretty happy with the hotel idea!).
So me and my 32kg will be in our hotel room doing an abridged S&S. I've only recently reconquered the 24kg so will be slowly adding the 32 back in. I think I'll take this time to work on swings (2H, 1H, H2H) and some TGUs. Obiously doing the full s&s reps might be beyond me with this weight at present, but I will be focusing much more on strength than any conditioning for this week. Doing goblet squats should be fun with 32kg, not done that in a few years! Maybe will avoid the halos...

How are other people addresing their practice over the festive period?

@Harald Motz I think that may be the first time I have actually laughed out loud at something I read on the internet.
Thankfully my eating habits are much better than they were last Christmas :). I'll be making sure to bring my aeropress to avoid terrible hotel coffee!

My plan for the holidays is food, eggnog, and the bear. Winter holiday layoffs are coming and there's a chance of a strike a week before the layoffs so I figure copious amounts of food, eggnog, bear volume, and rest. And when work pickups back to the motel S&S sessions.

@natewhite39 that's some good self control.
I work in a predominatly South Asian community so we get samosas and other similar treats around a lot. It's really helped me develop better eating habits (I have a real weak spot for spicy things), as the challenge is almost daily and I can imagine just how quickly I'd balloon up if I had al lthe treats I wanted.
That said like Christmas I had to give Eid a pass this year as South Asian sweets are incredible.

I'm on the side of use the extra calories and work on some hypertrophy volume. Eat your way through that 32. Some bigger shoulders, traps, hamstrings and glutes never hurt anybody ;). When is the last time you've looked in the mirror and thought, "I wish I was less muscular..." Thin out when it's time to thin out, bulk up when it's time to bulk up - the holidays are the perfect time to eat through a sticking point - albeit good calories more than sweets.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom