all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Fighter Pullup Program Warm Up and rest.

Jet Black Heart

Level 3 Valued Member
Hello.

I’m going to be starting the 3RM Fighter PullUp program. I was wondering how you’d warm up for the program and what is an ideal rest time between sets.

Thanks.

Hello.

I’m going to be starting the 3RM Fighter PullUp program. I was wondering how you’d warm up for the program and what is an ideal rest time between sets.

Thanks.
Rest periods are not specified in the program. It's not that the program doesn't address rest periods. It addresses them by specifically stating that rest periods are not specified ;-). In other words, rest however you want as long as you get all your reps, anything from the minimum you think you need to spacing out the work throughout the day.

I've done a lot of cycles of the fighter pullup 3RM program with weighted pullups. In my experience the key making it work is to not use an all out struggling 3RM. I found that starting with a tough 5RM turned that into a very comfortable set of 5 by the end of the program, which is less than 2 weeks if you don't take extra days off, and makes the program a lot more sustainable in terms of running consecutive cycles with increasing weight, or moving on to the 5RM program.

If currently struggle to get 3 bodyweight reps, I'd do a ladder ramp up program before starting the 3RM program proper, something like:
1, 2,1,1

Stay on each level for longer than one session if necessary.

I'm not big on warmups for most normal training and I've never really done anything to warm up for pullups. Not that there's anything wrong with warming up (especially for high load or high skill training), and there are drills where I prepare with some minimal separate warmup moves and/or a brief ramp up of the load to my working weight. But I don't have any specific advice about warming up for pullups.

These days, I do all my pullups on rings because I find it's the most comfortable, and I've also found it has a lot of carryover to regular pullups when I've tested them.

Rest periods are not specified in the program. It's not that the program doesn't address rest periods. It addresses them by specifically stating that rest periods are not specified ;-). In other words, rest however you want as long as you get all your reps, anything from the minimum you think you need to spacing out the work throughout the day.

I've done a lot of cycles of the fighter pullup 3RM program with weighted pullups. In my experience the key making it work is to not use an all out struggling 3RM. I found that starting with a tough 5RM turned that into a very comfortable set of 5 by the end of the program, which is less than 2 weeks if you don't take extra days off, and makes the program a lot more sustainable in terms of running consecutive cycles with increasing weight, or moving on to the 5RM program.

If currently struggle to get 3 bodyweight reps, I'd do a ladder ramp up program before starting the 3RM program proper, something like:
1, 2,1,1

Stay on each level for longer than one session if necessary.

I'm not big on warmups for most normal training and I've never really done anything to warm up for pullups. Not that there's anything wrong with warming up (especially for high load or high skill training), and there are drills where I prepare with some minimal separate warmup moves and/or a brief ramp up of the load to my working weight. But I don't have any specific advice about warming up for pullups.

These days, I do all my pullups on rings because I find it's the most comfortable, and I've also found it has a lot of carryover to regular pullups when I've tested them.
Great reply, thanks!

If you have healthy shoulders and upper back, a warmup shouldn't really be necessary. You could do something to generally activate the muscles of the arms, shoulders and upper back. Something as simple as flailing your arms randomly about at an easy pace would do the trick. I have a previously injured left shoulder that I like to please, and it loves snatches. So that's my go-to specific warmup for pull-ups and chins, if that's all I'm doing or I'm doing it first. A vigourous set of 10 per arm with a light/moderate kettlebell is all I need.

Rest as needed. Could be hours if you'd like to spread your sets throughout the day. If you'd like to get on and done with it, I'd say 2-5 minutes.

To warmup for pull-ups, which I find necessary, I do a lot to warmup. The warmup is part of the workout. For me, the “warmup” is just as important as the main work. I warmup my whole body, and incorporate specific movements for what I’m training that day. For pull-ups I do things that will be similar to the movement and use the same muscles involved in the main movement… bar hangs, scapular retractions, inverted rows, curls, etc. as well as the antagonistic muscles.

I really like doing getups between sets of weighted pullups or vise versa depending on the number of sets that day.

I will generally do a couple rounds of goblet squats / halos, some doorway stretches for shoulders , and a couple hangs. Then I'm ready for getups and pullups

Back
Top Bottom