all posts post new thread

Old Forum Forearms burning out During swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

CJ

Level 5 Valued Member
Guys,

Latlely when doing swings my forearms have been giving out and I have not been able to push myself in my swings as I need to.  I do weighted pull ups ladders, OAPU progressions along with this.  I am using a 70lb kb which is approx 30 of my bodyweight as suggested by Pavel and Mark Reifkind for power and endurance building.  is there anything that I can do about this?

thanks

I have done swings for a while taking ocassional breaks from them also

Use a lighter bell until you think you can move up. You don't have to use the 70lber yet. Repeat until strong.

cj - how many reps are you doing before your forearms start to give out?  i would say stick with the 32kg bell if you can get 6 or 7 reps and build to 10 reps slowly.  the pull-ups certainly put a hurting on the forearms so you may want to only swing on days you are not pulling.

My experience:

10 swings on one hand was too much for me with the 32 a few months ago.

-I dropped my reps to 5 per set/per arm and did more sets (resting longer between the sets because I wanted to develop strength, not conditioning). I started adding a few sets with the 24 afterwards as more of a finisher but in retrospect that might have slowed my progress.

-do 2 handed until you can build alot of total volume. like 200 reps per session.

-Make sure your grip gets enough rest from your pullup practice

Finally, you might need to check your form, you could be gripping the bell when it really should hang loose. (hint: can be a confidence issue)

Start including 1 handed swings into your mix. One hand works harder, the other gets to rest completely. Grip gets stronger.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom