all posts post new thread

Barbell Form check: Zercher squat

Here we go from my training log..

This is also one of the reasons the zercher squat is taught via deadlifting it off the floor. You learn how to get into the proper position and also get that engaging the abs.

Lots of good and interesting comments so far.

Looks good!

I agree that your torso angle changes during the ascent. However, while @Mark Limbaga gives solid advice, I'll offer an option of going into that position right in the beginning.

Rarely, if ever, do I see anyone do a really heavy zercher squat in a position that mimics the front squat position.
I think @Annti is correct. Try treating your Zercher as more of a hip hinge in that you'll aim back more and then you'll already be in the right position to come up from. And if you want to work on being more upright, then I think a barbell front squat or a high bar back squat can be better choices.

-S-

Not sure if my form is a great example. What I think helps is to pull yourself down into the squat with the muscles in the front of your hips. I think about bracing my core and keep my torso right where it is while driving my legs into the ground. I think the way you are performing it now by tipping forward may lead to you feeling it in your low back. Keep your torso in one position.

While we are on the subject if anyone has any critiques for my form it is welcome. Thank you in advanced.

Not sure if my form is a great example. What I think helps is to pull yourself down into the squat with the muscles in the front of your hips. I think about bracing my core and keep my torso right where it is while driving my legs into the ground. I think the way you are performing it now by tipping forward may lead to you feeling it in your low back. Keep your torso in one position.

While we are on the subject if anyone has any critiques for my form it is welcome. Thank you in advanced.
Looks good to me

I agree with the first few comments. It looks good but the weight is just a bit too heavy making you tip your torso coming up. Looks like if you lost concentration it may end badly. I guess I would lighten up, maybe just like 10 bls.

Looks pretty darn good. Don’t take this the wrong way but you have a great build for squatting. You’re probably more upright on low bar squats than I am on front squats.

However, as others have noted, you may be trying to be too upright. So you start the descent with minimal hinge and just break at the knees. Sit back a little at the start and you’re golden.

There is a little bit of the hips rising early coming out of the hole, but nothing crazy. Is that a heavy weight for you, or light/medium for the video? The hips coming up that amount is kind of hard to avoid all the time at heavy weights on almost any kind of squat. So, if that is heavy then I'd say it's within what is realistically seen on heavy squats (that doesn't mean it is desirable ... it just means that it is something you occasionally see even at international level lifters).

If that was light/medium then that aspect can probably be tightened up a little. I think a useful way to measure squatting progress is how heavy you can go WITHOUT any of that, knowing that you'll probably have a little bit of it at whatever your top weights are.

Regarding how upright you are and where to think about pointing your hips, that will vary a lot from person-to-person. If when in the bottom position you feel like you are A) on good balance over the arches of your feet, and B) have evenly distributed tension across the primary muscle groups (gluts, quads, etc.) then you're probably good for YOU. If you are having a hard time keeping one muscle group tight and engaged then consider making some adjustments.

Below is a screen grab of my set of Zerchers from last week. I'm not as upright as you are, but at the same time this doesn't feel like a "hinge" at all to me. I feel on good balance and feel that both my gluts and quads are "on" and ready to drive out of the hole ... if I was more upright I do not think that would be the case, and if I were more hinged then it also would not be the case.

Tony Zercher Squat bottom position.jpg

There is a little bit of the hips rising early coming out of the hole, but nothing crazy. Is that a heavy weight for you, or light/medium for the video? The hips coming up that amount is kind of hard to avoid all the time at heavy weights on almost any kind of squat. So, if that is heavy then I'd say it's within what is realistically seen on heavy squats (that doesn't mean it is desirable ... it just means that it is something you occasionally see even at international level lifters).

If that was light/medium then that aspect can probably be tightened up a little. I think a useful way to measure squatting progress is how heavy you can go WITHOUT any of that, knowing that you'll probably have a little bit of it at whatever your top weights are.

Regarding how upright you are and where to think about pointing your hips, that will vary a lot from person-to-person. If when in the bottom position you feel like you are A) on good balance over the arches of your feet, and B) have evenly distributed tension across the primary muscle groups (gluts, quads, etc.) then you're probably good for YOU. If you are having a hard time keeping one muscle group tight and engaged then consider making some adjustments.

Below is a screen grab of my set of Zerchers from last week. I'm not as upright as you are, but at the same time this doesn't feel like a "hinge" at all to me. I feel on good balance and feel that both my gluts and quads are "on" and ready to drive out of the hole ... if I was more upright I do not think that would be the case, and if I were more hinged then it also would not be the case.

View attachment 23276
This set felt moderately heavy. For context, my previous working weight was 135 done for a couple of weeks until it felt easy, and then I tested my 1RM and settled with a new weight of 185 (75% of 1RM) as shown in the video. I do agree that doing squats with a given weight with ease and acceptable form is a good indicator of progress as I was once struggling with 135.

Looks pretty darn good. Don’t take this the wrong way but you have a great build for squatting. You’re probably more upright on low bar squats than I am on front squats.

However, as others have noted, you may be trying to be too upright. So you start the descent with minimal hinge and just break at the knees. Sit back a little at the start and you’re golden.
Yeah being upright in squats just feels more natural for me. I would’ve done front squats but my shoulder is a limiting factor so zerchers are the best choice for me.

Yeah being upright in squats just feels more natural for me. I would’ve done front squats but my shoulder is a limiting factor so zerchers are the best choice for me.
There are 2 usual variations of the front squat

The "genie" Aka powerlifting style and the Olympic style

If the former hurts, it's usually a sign you are shrugging. If your wrists lack the mobility to do the weightlifting style rack, you can use straps

Back to the zercher..

The reason we teach it with a pattern similar to low bar squats offers some benefits. It helps you brace your abs better., you learn to use your last to keep the bar close, the pattern reinforces safe and good squat mechanics..

The upright position isn't wrong, it's just doing so is basically doing the same pattern of a goblet squat but with a barbell.. So you lose some benefits you get with the more hinge-y style

Back
Top Bottom