all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Forum Newbie! Beast TGU you will be mine

David Mary

Level 5 Valued Member
Good evening strongfirst members. In the interest of good etiquette, I would like my first post to be an introduction so you have a sense of who I am, and in the hope of meeting some of you.

I got my feet wet with physical culture as a teenager in a karate mcdojo and then sampled a number of clubs and styles since. No martial arts rankings of any note, the perennial beginner, if you will, but along the way I learned a lot about strength and conditioning. In my early twenties I became a very active member of the now-defunct BodyWeightCulture forum, and briefly administrated PhysicalCulture.forumotion.ca for the handful of BodyWeightculture members who wanted to continue posting training logs. During that era I introduced myself to kettlebells and then barbells, and for a few years I trained pretty regularly, though mostly autoreg, and not so much following any programs to the letter. As a result, I got in great shape for an average guy, but am nowhere near elite as far as dedicated trainees go.

At some point I got away from serious training for the most part, though I do have a squat rack and 60 lb kettlebell next to my computer, and a 45, 80 and 105 up at the shop. To get there I have a sixteen or so minute bike, down a hill, up a hill, down a hill, up a hill. Been a commuting cyclist for the entirety of my adult life, instead of driving a car, and always loaded with a backpack of stuff, so I am in good shape for my age. And I keep playing with the aforementioned tools, but kind of sporadically, and it's been a while since I really took advantage of progressive resistance training, rather than so much maintenance.

I'm just past my thirties, doing what I love for a living, and having a little more money than when I was younger and I can eat as much as I want now, and lo and behold some of it wants to stay with me longer than I would like, in places I don't want it. So I want to get more serious about my training again, and rebuild good habits, and get back to the lean body that I am used to having. More strength is a goal too; I have yet to perform a TGU with my 48 kg bell, but I feel like a little training will get me there. Maybe some day when I can justify the ridiculous cost of importing a Rogue Kettlebell into Canada I will also grab one of their 124 or 150 pounders. Playing with a big bell always makes the less big bells feel even less less big. Pardon my erudition. ;)

Any that's why I'm here, in a nutshell; to share and grow in the love of strength and conditioning with a like minded community of others motivated to make the most of their corporeal vehicle while still tethered to this world. Thanks for checking out my intro, and if there is anything you think I should know about etiquette here regarding training logs, or just the overall strongfirst culture, I'm all ears.

Yours in the journey to being stronger tomorrow than yesterday,

David

First off… welcome. Nice intro.
Really… just hang out, get involved with the community here. There are a lot of top notch folks here that have experience in a lot of different strength, endurance, fitness, and health modalities.

We talk a lot about setting goals. Do so! Start a training log in either of the two training log sections. Poke around the logs to see how people post their logs. Some are very detailed, others are more poetic in nature…

Dont be hesitant to ask for advice. The crew here is very helpful.

If you really want to jumpstart your strength work with KB’s (or other tools) consider taking a StrongFirst course, or working with a SF instructor to ensure you get the basics dialed in.

Again welcome…

@David Mary, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

In addition to @offwidth's suggestion of a kettlebell course or working with an instructor, how about setting a goal of become a StrongFirst Certified Instructor? Passing those requirements will necessarily mean you've addressed some of your issues and learned about both yourself and about teaching others along the way.

-S-

There are no import fees through rogue Canada, just whatever your provincial tax is and shipping. But holy did shipping ever get expensive. During the pandemic I ordered 2x28kg bells and a C2 rower which seemed very reasonable.
I just checked the price of a 48kg bell and it would cost over $600 just for shipping and handling fees!

There are no import fees through rogue Canada, just whatever your provincial tax is and shipping. But holy did shipping ever get expensive. During the pandemic I ordered 2x28kg bells and a C2 rower which seemed very reasonable.
I just checked the price of a 48kg bell and it would cost over $600 just for shipping and handling fees!
Welcome to the forum! I will second becoming certified. For me it wasn’t because I even planned to be an instructor but I liked setting the goal to channel my training towards a goal. But having that goal has really helped me to stay motivated to keep training and getting stronger and have a good overall fitness level. I got certified two years ago and the certification is a tough two days but very enjoyable if you enjoy a challenge. I’m going for level two this year since my certification expires this year. I recently started to train some people but it’s not my main job just a way to help other people get to a better level of fitness and maybe justify buying a new kettlebell or taking more training since it gives a little extra income doing something enjoyable.

Thank you for the very kind welcome gentlemen. While I am sure my kettlebell and barbell technique could use some work, as I have been largely unsupervised in my 15 and 11 years or so using them, I did have the good fortune of a trained coach in either discipline to observe and give me feedback early on.

It is now a goal to save up for StrongFirst certification because that sounds excellent. Thanks again and see you around guys!

Welcome.

I have a student based in Vancouver. So, to let you get those big bells, I would reach out to Louka Kurcer or great lakes girya.

I'd definitely work with an instructor to speed up the process as you pursue the SFG long term

Welcome to the forum! Im in this field as a career and I’ve had the privilege to have trained many students. I have taken the course plenty of times and brought students with me a couple times. We as strength coaches do remember why we got into this field. We wanted to help people get stronger within themselves and in their own lives. If you were in NJ i would have no problem teaching you. If you do ever come around please feel free to contact me.

In my early twenties I became a very active member of the now-defunct BodyWeightCulture forum
I still use my BodyWeightCulture USA suspension trainer all the time. It's nice to just be able to grab the rung I want and never have to adjust the height.

Maybe some day when I can justify the ridiculous cost of importing a Rogue Kettlebell into Canada
Great Lakes Girya, White Lion Athletics, and Bells of Steel are all based in Canada. I'm not in Canada and haven't dealt with any of them myself or compared prices, but they all seem reputable and worth checking out.

I still use my BodyWeightCulture USA suspension trainer all the time. It's nice to just be able to grab the rung I want and never have to adjust the height.

Awesome! Sadly mine has fallen apart after years of hard use but I have saved the rungs and tied them to ropes for multiple semi-adjustable suspension trainers.

I hope I can find a cert that doesn't take place on a Sunday since that is the only way I could do it.
I've only ever known the SFG I to be a Fri-Sat-Sun event, usually finishing around 1:30-2:00pm Sunday. However you can find some Kettlebell 101, 201, and 301 courses that are 4 hours each on various days (Saturday seems to be the most common offering).

Thanks. A cert is a way off for me anyway. I'm still figuring out how to incorporate posting here into my routine, let alone starting a training log.

Back
Top Bottom