all posts post new thread

Old Forum Geoff Neupert on Hypertrophy vs. Fat Loss

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JZB

Level 3 Valued Member
On the Rdella podcast, Geoff Neupert made a comment that the main difference between a hypertrophy program and a fat loss program is how much you eat after working with a few other minor details thrown in (paraphrasing of course).

Can anyone elaborate on this?  I know fat loss is 90% diet, but I'm curious what the other details that seperate a hypertrophy program and fat loss program are.  Is it possible, as an example, to lose fat on a program like The Bear (high volume deadlifts) if you just don't eat a 4 pound lamb leg after each time you do it?  Is intensity the "minor details"?

Is it possible, as an example, to lose fat on a program like The Bear (high volume deadlifts) if you just don’t eat a 4 pound lamb leg after each time you do it?
Speaking just for myself, while it is possible, but every time I've tried it, I haven't liked it.  For me, a better approach to fat loss is to lift for pure strength and eat in moderation.

We are each an experiment of one when it comes to things like this, however, and you have to take me talking about fat loss with a grain of salt since I lift in the 148 lb. weight class and have really never been "fat" by most definitions.

Having voiced my own experience, I must hasten to add that Geoff  has guided countless people to improvements in strength and in body composition, so if he says it works then we know it does.  And, right now, my wife is following one of Geoff's programs and is very pleased with the results she's been achieving.

-S-

Training for strength and eating right does seem like the most reasonable plan for me as well.  A while ago I trimmed down fairly well on PTTP ( 532 rep scheme done with zercher squats and overhead presses) over the course of 4 weeks and drinking water afterward until I didn't want to think about food but still eating reasonable for the day.  I don't know if that is typical since the goal of the program is strength, not fat loss.

I've always been curious about a program like the Bear though, since it seems like it would produce a hell of a lot of muscle endurance in the way that something like a metcon never could, but I have no interest in a hypertrophy program in the foreseeable future.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom