all posts post new thread

Getting Stronger with just a 16kg Kettlebell

Is VWC type training still recommended by SF? If I recall correctly, the target adaptation in its constituent protocols was either VO2max (as opposed to mitochondrial adaptations) or lactate tolerance (as opposed to AGT).
It is a glycolytic approach and with light weight and done for short time frames—it can be fine.

Or an adjustable Kettlebell from Kettlebell Kings or so which goes from 12-32kg. Great for the Price.

I really wish they had a 16-40KG option. Or that SOMEONE did (that was also good quality), and in a cast iron shape rather than sport...but I guess one can't have everything in life. But at this point in time this would be my "only one bell" choice for the rest of my life.

I'm still torn on if I'll buy heavier bells than my current KK 32KG, or I get one of these with the eventual goal of having a set of adjustable doubles.

---

As to the question at hand. To use an old adage; "There is no replacement for displacement". Generally true, specifically false. But I believe the main emphasis of strong first is best. That doesn't mean strong only. There is probably some Pareto principle at play here.

This kind of reminds me of a podcast episode Dan John and Pat Flynn did where they had an "only one bell" discussion for the average bloke. Both of them decided on the 20KG. I'm still thinking 24KG might be better.

My main thing is still S&S. I still find a 16KG useful even though I can do untimed Simple with my 32KG. But when I'm feeling like I'm having an off day, or I feel like my immune system has taken a hit and I'm on the verge of a "I might be getting sick" vibe. I can still crack out the 16KG and sneak in an "easy" day with plenty of rest between sets.

Some days I just want a change of pace and I'll substitute swings for snatches, or high pulls with the 16KG, and reduce rests. I can also sling that bell pretty good in the 1H and 2H swing and just really focus on mechanics and good technique.

Likewise goblet squats with a lighter bell I can substitute in cossack squats.

Or the TGU's I'll do in reverse fashion and start with a clean and press, then just do alternating or back to back TGU's on the same side without setting it down. I'm up to three B2B sets on each side, or just alternating and not setting the bell down at all for all ten sets. Gives my heart a bit more workout, but then I recover pretty quickly and usually feel pretty good that day. Endorphin high? This still makes me think I can continue to squeeze more strength out of even a light bell like the 16KG.

...and I still am working on doing BU getups with it.

So even with a lighter bell I think consistency is key, and workout frequency can also be upped with less downside. Perhaps almost daily training sessions.

For example, it would be an interesting long term experiment to use a weight at 80-90% of technical 1RM and see how many times a week one could reasonably train, and then compare it to say a weight at 50% 1RM and see what kind of strength gains would occur over a long term period. I already know when I'm working in the heavier spectrum I can only get in about 3 sessions a week. I'll bet I could go 6-7 days a week with just the 16KG.

With a 16kg kettlebell, you can still create a complete strength and conditioning schedule. Get creative with exercises like swings, squats, Turkish get-ups, and presses. Mix up the reps, tempos, and rest intervals. Don't forget bodyweight exercises too.

Hi. New poster (aged 60)
My 16k kettlebell is my most treasured gym item. Though I don't believe it is big enough to make me massive I do believe it to be enough to keep me all-round fit. This combined with a chin-up bar and a pair of running shoes has got me to fitness levels that I would never have believed. Both athletic and ripped. Body builders look elsewhere (you have my respect by the way.)

And 30RM is mostly seen as absurdly light.

I don't think one 16kg will be enough to get stronger. You can take you newbie gains with it for sure. But you will reach 30RM within a few month. And even lot sooner you won't get any stronger. You will just learn the ability to press low weights more often. The Stress won't be enough to build strength. So you could press a 16kg 1000 times and won't be able to press a 32kg Bell if you don't press heavier weights.
THAT I want to see :D Let's not pretend 32 kg is that heavy, and the technique is the same (it would be a different thing to argue the same way with, say, one arm push-ups, where the technique changes to a significant degree) ;)
Yes, there is a point of diminishing returns after point X (which will be different for everyone, based on muscle fiber distribution etc.), however, there is always a certain connection between reps and higher load. For example, I was around 16 years old when I did my first weighted pull-ups. I had only done unweighted ones before, both high rep sets (20+) and what climbers call "Frenchies" (isometric holds at certain angles in between reps). Came up to + 35 kg on my first try (weighing like 65 kg soaking wet) and was up to +45 kg within a month. The higher reps and holds had given me a strong base to build on. To conclude the story, I hat a plateau at around that time trying to stick with 3-5 RM, and it wasn't until I went back to higher reps again that managed to push my 1RM further.

Is it ideal to use a 16 kg KB as the only tool for strength? No, certainly comes nowhere near a 500 lbs Olympic weight set in a power rack, which would be my choice. But can it make you stronger? Sure, especially if one accepts that "stronger" colloquially can mean more than "higher 1 RM".

Another alternative, GU's with presses ( mentioned already ? ) The other day, for a warm-up / eye-opener. Twenty GU's with a press at each position on the way up and down, 14kg bell, 11 presses per rep, 220 presses total. Took a bit under 29 minutes. Most of my other bells were being used at an SFG I cert. in Phx. which I was assisting at. Amazing experience and I highly recommend every StrongFirst Instructor to look into, Brett and Yoana and the other three assistants, Lorna, Avi, Gabe, next-level good in every way.

Last edited:
To conclude the story, I hat a plateau at around that time trying to stick with 3-5 RM, and it wasn't until I went back to higher reps again that managed to push my 1RM further.
Thank you for this, VWC gave me a similar result.

A 40 min session of snatches with a 16k bell at total 14 snatches per minute for 40 mins totals out to 19,600 lbs hoisted overhead in that time window. That said, it's a Very demanding, glycolytic session. On the other side, A + A sessions can total a large amount of tonnage if one seeks that, and it's much easier on the organism. It's my only only now..

Thank you for this, VWC gave me a similar result.

A 40 min session of snatches with a 16k bell at total 14 snatches per minute for 40 mins totals out to 19,600 lbs hoisted overhead in that time window. That said, it's a Very demanding, glycolytic session. On the other side, A + A sessions can total a large amount of tonnage if one seeks that, and it's much easier on the organism. It's my only only now..
I agree, large volume work has its own, unique benefits in my experience. Once again though, I think people get varied results from it - some are more beat-up by volume than others, others are more beat-up by high tension or explosive work or high frequency. It's the same with running - some people need more recovery after longer runs, other people after sprints. I think muscle fiber distribution plays a role here, and what you are used to of course.

I didn’t notice any mention of KB “juggling” in this thread (apologies if I missed it). Juggling is fun and a good workout and a good way to use a lighter bell.

Once a weed or so, I carry my 16 kg about a half mile to the beach, juggle and toss it for a while, and carry it back home.

If you can indulge an Old ^*#% (70) a reminiscence, the first KB I bought was a 16 kg from Pavel’s inaugural production run at DD more than two decades ago. That’s the same bell I play with on the beach today.

There are lots of ways to continue to get strong with a 16kg kettlebell, including accommodating resistance with a band. But first, I'd recommend getting stronger without it. Master The Naked Warrior: attend a StrongFirst bodyweight course and/or get your SFB. Handstand pushups, 1-arm 1-leg pushups, pistol squats, airborne lunges, weighted pull-ups, front levers, hanging leg raises, etc.

I guess if all I had was a 16kg, I would consider doing kettlebell throwing, snatch walking, weighted dips and/or pull ups. And then all types of carries like goblet carries, rack, farmer, and waiter walk. I used to like doing around the worlds where you pass the kettlebell around your body and through your legs too. And halo's with prying goblet squat, and hack squats.

I agree, large volume work has its own, unique benefits in my experience. Once again though, I think people get varied results from it - some are more beat-up by volume than others, others are more beat-up by high tension or explosive work or high frequency. It's the same with running - some people need more recovery after longer runs, other people after sprints. I think muscle fiber distribution plays a role here, and what you are used to of course.
Yes. To further complicate things, speaking for myself here.. recovery ability is a moving target, depending on a seemingly endless number of factors. I can only take what my body gives, and no more.

Back
Top Bottom