all posts post new thread

Old Forum Goblet Squat questions

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Physical Culture

Level 5 Valued Member
I'm a gs athlete, and my goals primarily revolve around getting better numbers in long cycle.  I train long cycle, 2x24k, 4-5 days a week, mostly in sets of 5-8 minutes at a pace of 4-5 reps per minute right now.  I'm also doing additional conditioning work, in the form of swings a la simple and sinister, and get ups.

I also include basic strength work, including dips, chins, and squats, about 3 times a week.  Sometimes back squats, sometimes pistols.

I do goblet squats as part of my warm up, but more for mobility than for squatting.

My question is if anyone has ever experimented with goblet squats for higher reps?  Many GS athletes do squats in the 30-50 rep range or higher with a moderate weight to train leg endurance.  I can't do this with a barbell- my lower back just won't take it, with all the clean and swings I'm already doing.

Yesterday I did sets of 5 with a 32k bell, just to work on technique before I try to push the reps up.  Everything felt fine, so I may work my reps up.

Anyone ever make the goblet squat a serious part of their training?  Any observations, cautions, or advice?

I can't answer your question directly but there certainly is history to squatting for high reps with no or a light weight.  Hindu Squats come to mind, and they might be better suited to your purpose.

What I've heard of GS athletes squatting for high reps with a barbell is that the range of motion is usually limited, unlike a goblet squat.

-S-

I'm getting some feedback on this. I have some older guys doing up to thirty reps. It is very difficult on the core and arms, but the "lack" of load is very good, as reported by them.

So, "moderate" is the problem I think. Even with a 20 K bell, you will be doing something akin to an isometric half curl for a fair amount of time. I got toasted on Kettlebell Fever's twenty reps. But...why not? Go all in for a few weeks and see what happens.

Cut your hair short.

In Easy Strength, it talks about Mark Toomey working up to some pretty high numbers with the goblet squat, and that translating to good back squat numbers. Don't know how much relevance that would have for you, but might make for interesting reading.

Thanks, all.  I already have short hair, so this should be a breeze, Dan!  I keep hearing about Easy Strength- should probably pick that up.

This has been my problem with double 32kg front squats aka "The Prince" of double KB lifts. After a certain number of reps the bells just literally fall out of my hands without warning even though hips/legs and abs seem to be doing alright.  Maybe next time cut back on the reps a little....

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom