all posts post new thread

Old Forum Going coast to coast on rollerblades. Strength training advice appreciated

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Zynkh

First Post
Hi there SF, I’m planning to do a west-to-east coast trek on rollerblades and I would very much appreciate some advice on an effective training routine to prepare myself over the next year. My start date is mid-April 2016.
My requirement is to sustain 6-8 hours of travel (or 100 kilometers) every day with a full backpack for the duration of the trip (about 2 months), though there will be full rest days scattered throughout.

I am 6’2, 196 pounds, 27 years old and familiar with strength training as I was a decathlete in high school. Predisposition to fast-twitch muscle. I want to be prepared to carry 50 pounds worth of equipment, though I intend my load on the trip to be much lighter.

Of course a big part of this will just be going out on my rollerblades for long periods with a backpack on, but after hearing Pavel’s interview with Tim Ferris, I realize that I’ll benefit greatly from a complimentary strength routine. I am looking to give my legs the power they need to carry me up the many hills I’ll encounter and the core strength to make sure I can maintain balance and control under load, even when fatigued.

I am familiar with most gym equipment and exercises. Inexperienced with kettle bells but am keen to learn them if they are the best option. Tips on workout progression are very welcome, like what weight to start with and what to work towards, when to add weight vs reps, that kind of thing. Also would I benefit from a weight vest, and if so, how to best employ it?

Thanks so much for your time, I really appreciate the help!
Zach

What you describe is an extreme endurance challenge.  You need to think of your endurance training as the main course and strength training as an appetizer in this case.  Your endurance training program is what will make or break you.  90% of what you should be doing is roller blading with a pack on.  You have much training ahead of you, so your strength training program has to be really simple. I would think in terms of twice per week for strength (and short) so that you have energy for all of the endurance work.  I would want some hip hinge work, some single leg squatting and some core.

Zach, I will offer a dissenting opinion to Mike's - many people who've ridden a bicycle coast-to-coast have ridden themselves into shape as they rode, having started off with an decent but unremarkable base of training.  I don't know how different roller blading is to cycling, but it's something to consider.  I think it's only an extreme endurance challenge if you insist on a fast pace and very specific mileage target.  You're young and you've got a background as a well-rounded athlete.  I know that 100k per day on a bicycle wouldn't be considered extreme in any way but more like a little more than average.

JMO.

-S-

Interesting to have a couple diverging opinions right away! Biking is definitely the closest thing to compare it to, though it is a slower and more physically taxing endeavor. Steep uphills are very difficult, especially if a stumble arrests all forward momentum.

On a test run with a light load I managed 25km in about 2-2 1/2 hours in no particular hurry. By the end, while I didn't feel particularly tired (until I finished and sat down), I did notice I was getting significantly less out of my legs, though that will get better the more I do. I'm not going to be attempting to beat any speed records (if there even are any for this), but if I want to finish before the weather gets too sweltering I'll have to hit about 100km/day on average, and I'd like to achieve that with enough time and energy to spare to experience my surroundings. I think it's very achievable, but the stronger/faster I am on day 1, the better off I'll be.

Blading benefits greatly from balance and fluidity, so I'm looking to adopt a good full body strength routine designed to achieve optimal muscle efficiency and a good deal of explosive power when I need it. While the endurance training element is mostly a matter of pure volume (I think), I feel like finding the correct strength routine requires a little more finesse and will be the difference between struggling greatly and thoroughly enjoying the experience.

Hi Zach - Sounds like fun.  How long have you been skating?!

I think I'd agree with Mike - skate with a pack on a lot.  Read the Ruck-walk thread on here - I think that would be quite helpful (core strength, keeping upright) either walking or skating.

Swings will ultimately help - but you probably need endurance over power.  Yet the one-arm swing would strengthen the skating motion in my opinion giving greater efficiency overall.

Learn how to brake too!  Ie. on your skates.  With a pack.

Keep us posted on your training/progress and eventual skate.

An odd thought - learn to skate backwards too - it might give your legs/muscles a break and allow a more even workload/fatiguing.  After 100km I reckon you'd want every advantage you can get.

Oh, I've been skating for years! When I was a kid I would deliver newspapers on them, and ever since then it's been my go-to for physical activity. I like how I can cover distance quickly and alternate between hard work and leisurely cruising. I think zooming down a hill on blades is the closest you can get to flying while still attached to the ground and under your own power.

Just checking out the ruck thread now, it's got some great info! I'm from Vancouver BC and we have some great hiking here, including some mountains that are essentially all big natural stairs, so that will be very useful as a training tool, and the principals seem to be easily adapted to having wheels on my feet.

That's a good insight about the 1-arm swing. I'm actually experimenting with weight in my hands after I noticed that I seem to get more oomph out of the side that I'm carrying my water bottle on.

Braking is an issue that I need to find a better way to address, especially with a pack on. No matter how good of shape I'm in, that dinky brake on the back just doesn't cut it, and I don't want to grind through my wheels by dragging them either. There are some other styles out there that are closer related to bike brakes that I'm looking into, as well as these neat "sails" that you can open up on big hills that make you look like a flying squirrel, but look very effective for controlling speed.

Interesting thought on backwards skating, I wonder if that would work. Worth a try! I'll definitely keep updating my progress for those that are interested. I'll be setting up a blog at some point as well that I'll be sure to link to.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom