all posts post new thread

Nutrition Grass-Fed Beef?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I had some really nice grass fed ribeye steaks this past weekend. Currently trying to decide if they were worth the price - we could take the plunge and buy a good 1/2 or 1/4 cow from the farm we bought these from (White Oak Pastures in Bluffton, GA). So.... it is better for you... better for the environment... better tasting (although, a different taste... maybe a little gamier? It was definitely good, but would take a little getting used to). So how much better is it, especially on the health aspect? I believe it's better, but I need a little convincing. 1% better? 50% better?

"grass-finished beef tends toward a higher proportion of cholesterol neutral stearic FA (C18:0), and less cholesterol-elevating SFAs such as myristic (C14:0) and palmitic (C16:0) FAs. Several studies suggest that grassbased diets elevate precursors for Vitamin A and E, as well as cancer fighting antioxidants such as glutathione (GT) and superoxide dismutase (SOD) activity as compared to grain-fed contemporaries. "

From: A review of fatty acid profiles and antioxidant content in grass-fed and grain-fed beef Cynthia A Daley1*, Amber Abbott1 , Patrick S Doyle1 , Glenn A Nader2 , Stephanie Larson2, Nutrition Journal 2010, 9:10

To me there is a big taste difference. I recently gave Buthers Box a go, maybe gamey is the word, almost like a liver taste to it. I think I will go back to Whole Foods (expensive ) there Grass fed is not as gamey

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom