all posts post new thread

Bodyweight GTG, for total body ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Luigib

Level 3 Valued Member
Hello, I learned how to do the Hard-Style push-ups from the StrongFirst school; and so I wanted to know if the best thing to do now was to work on these pumps rather than on the pumps that we learn everywhere? So is it possible to practice GTG for push-ups, pull-ups, hanging knee raises and bodyweight squats? Or do classic full-body workouts 3.4 times a week? Knowing that my goal is to always be in better shape and gain some muscle mass.
Sincerely, Luigi.

So is it possible to practice GTG for push-ups, pull-ups, hanging knee raises and bodyweight squats?
Yes it is. I have done this a lot over the years.

Your stated goal to “be in better shape” is far too vague. The classic response will be... better shape for what? Bowling or BJJ?
As far as “gain some muscle mass”... also a bit vague, but there are likely better ways to gain muscle mass than GTG methods. Most people will likely first advise barbell work for mass gains, followed secondly by KB’s. That being said there are good examples of body weight exercise mass gains, but usually harder come by. And remember that you need to eat appropriately to support muscle mass gains regardless of the exercise modalities you employ.

@offwidth Hello, thank you very much for the reply. Basically I worked on Convict Conditionning and I didn't make big gains, nor much progress. And I discovered Al and Danny Kavadlo's Get Strong program, and I followed them quite a bit, until I fell. in check on the wall handstand .. So, when I started training in clahistenia it was to feel better, drier, stronger in my body and my mind. And then I discovered the Strongfirst school, so my question is what to do while waiting for me to discover Strongfirst's SFB training, which program is "better" to move forward?
Sincerely, Luigi.

Is there such a thing as strength training for bowling? Now I'm actually curious.

-S-
They have strength programs for golf. I’d imagine a sport where you essentially throw a medicine ball for accuracy and power would have to benefit from strength training more than golf.
Granted they are both “drinking” sports. But maybe that is my Wisconsin upbringing showing.

edit: of course bowlfit.com is a thing lol

@offwidth Hello, thank you very much for the reply. Basically I worked on Convict Conditionning and I didn't make big gains, nor much progress. And I discovered Al and Danny Kavadlo's Get Strong program, and I followed them quite a bit, until I fell. in check on the wall handstand .. So, when I started training in clahistenia it was to feel better, drier, stronger in my body and my mind. And then I discovered the Strongfirst school, so my question is what to do while waiting for me to discover Strongfirst's SFB training, which program is "better" to move forward?
Sincerely, Luigi.
Honestly I’d just finish the strong program. It is pretty good and will move you towards some physical change.
Unless I’m misunderstanding you and you hurt yourself when you fell. Then don’t keep doing handstands.

@Training for Life Good evening, yes I also registered, but only, I do not know how to set it up for all the movements in the same program ..
I hope I don’t give too much out in a public forum, this is what I understand out of the ”Program Design”-chapter:

- Pick a suitable progression/regression of the OAPU, Tactical Pullup and Pistol exercise
- Treat everything as a practice: practice doing the exercises correctly like you would practice any other skill instead of trying to just do X repetitions or sets
- Do 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps (try to hit 10-30 total reps), long rest periods of multiple minutes between sets, 2-3 times a week
- Wave the load from session to session, so maybe you can do 1x heavy & 1x light session for each exercise or 1 x heavy, 1 x medium and 1 x light session. Do less reps, sets or an easier progression of the exercise in lighter sessions.
- You can also pick multiple moves from each exercise category and do them in a slow circuit, see examples in ”Program Design” workbook PDF
- If you want to train GTG style, train one exercise of the three in GTG fashion and others conventional style

Last edited:
You can GTG only 2 skills.

My minimalistic recommendation, based on our SFB curriculum and Pavel's The Naked Warrior:

- GTG one-arm pushups and pistols
- alternate pullups and HLRs 3x/week - 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps
- add some "big pull" in a form of conventional training, 2x-3x/week: barbell deadlift, kettlebell swing, or snatch.

@Pavel Macek
Thanks for the reply, but I'm not sure if I'm strong enough to start the one-arm push-ups and the pistol.
@silveraw And yes I removed the work from the handstands and I feel it better like that, I will add this exercise later. @Training for Life And I don't know if I have a lot of time to do all of this at the moment.

@Pavel Macek
Thanks for the reply, but I'm not sure if I'm strong enough to start the one-arm push-ups and the pistol.
@silveraw And yes I removed the work from the handstands and I feel it better like that, I will add this exercise later. @Training for Life And I don't know if I have a lot of time to do all of this at the moment.

There plenty of easier progressions leading up to them you can do - GTG is actually the best way how to get there.
Please see our StrongFirst Bodyweight Online Course: StrongFirst: Training Center

I would also like to know, if practicing Naked Warrior for push-ups and squat pistols could have an impact on my body, that I could feel more athletic, stronger, leaner? And where do I start if I don't know how to do both movements? And how to train gtg and how many times per week? I have Pavel's book, but I didn't quite understand it. Thanks in advance, Luigib.

I would also like to know, if practicing Naked Warrior for push-ups and squat pistols could have an impact on my body, that I could feel more athletic, stronger, leaner? And where do I start if I don't know how to do both movements? And how to train gtg and how many times per week? I have Pavel's book, but I didn't quite understand it. Thanks in advance, Luigib.
You can have a look at this post, in it are linked 4 articles where you will learn about the SF way of doing bodyweight. Some explanations of GTG are in there also.

I believe @seansewell had a guest on his podcast during COVID shutdown (Engagement with Sean Sewell, which is awesome) that did a GTG bodyweight program through out the day. My memory is hazy from too many podcasts, but I think it was air squats, pull ups and pushup every 90 minutes for 8 hours. Sorry I don't remember the exacts, but I do remember the person being very happy with the results.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom