all posts post new thread

Old Forum Hangs for grip - elbows locked out?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

RobertS

Level 2 Valued Member
All,

I've been doing various kinds of hangs as supplementary grip training & would like to hear some expert views on how the elbows should be set. Some recommend leaving a slight bend, and yet in the case of deadlifts it's recommended to lock the arms out (even tightening the triceps to ensure it) and it seems to me that this should also apply to hangs.

In the pictures of Pavel performing the spine decompression hang in Relax Into Stretch, his arms appear to me to be locked out. (I realise the hang is serving a different purpose here, but still). However, the text does not indicate one way or the other.

Being over 40 and keen to protect my elbows from potential damage, it would be good to hear more on this.

Thanks.

Straight-arm strength is unique. To attain it, you have to train for it. If you're hanging solely for grip development, a slight kink is fine to relieve stress.

If you're hanging with the intention of developing any hanging levers, strict hanging leg raises, or to advance mobility in the lats, lock those elbows.

Keep in mind that for the deadlift, you are primarily protecting the bicep by keeping the elbows locked. You're also typically lifting far in excess of bodyweight. So it doesn't really apply.

I would say elbows locked, shoulders retracted, just like a pullup. I believe Jouko Ahola used to do a lot of these, for time, with a ton of added weight.

Pavel - I don't have a specific application in mind. I made a decision a year ago to start doing grip work as an adjunct to my TGUs and swings, as it seemed to be a weak spot with me. Years of doing pullups didn't seem to improve it much - but the hangs have definitely helped the grip. (I was having a friendly arm wrestle with a friend of mine at the weekend and he remarked on it, in fact).

However, I have recently begun the ROP and noticed a crunching in my elbows when doing pullups. I went for a safety check with a physio and he didn't think it was anything too bad, just that the bicep was "tight". It made me wonder if holding the hang in the slightly crooked position might have been a factor here.

IMHO, hangs for pullups should be elbow locked.  Flex your triceps if you need to.

Barbell deadlift will help your grip - try those if you haven't already.  They're taxing so be sure to put them into your program in a way that doesn't cause you to overtrain, e.g. on the ROP, just a few on variety day, maybe hang onto the lockout position for a few seconds on the last rep of each set.

-S-

Robert, there is a great variety of grip work suitable for different uses. Arm-wrestling demands wrist strength a lot more than grip strength. When I arm-wrestled, only a couple of the guys in our group (which included a world champion, #5 in the world, a national champion) could close Iron Mind's #2 gripper–which is not a big deal.

Rope hangs are unlikely to help AW.

Pavel, what sort of wrist exercises would they do? Very heavy thickbar wrist curls and static holds seem to be the staple for most of today's top AW, apart from table practice....

I think I recall your mentioning this exercise http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMt_QbwHzWc in the original RKC book as well?

That's interesting Pavel - indeed, he did say my grip was stronger, but still beat me. He's a pretty strong guy.

Plenty of food for thought here - thanks everyone. I will experiment a little.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom