all posts post new thread

Barbell Have I been running vodka and pickles wrong?

FlatbushAve

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi Everone,

Just starting another wave of (the great!!!) vodka and pickles program, but I think I may have been increasing the weighs incorrectly. The way I read it was that one increases the starting max weigh by 10 lbs on workout #6 and proceed with percentage increases accordingly. For example, if starting TM is 100lbs, you would follow the protocol of 65%, 70%, 75%, 80% and finally 85% before starting the cycle over by “adding 10 lbs” - so beginning again with a TM of 110lbs. Is this incorrect?

This is the workout for those not familiar: Kettlebells and Deadlifts Go Together Like Vodka and Pickles | StrongFirst

Hi Everone,

Just starting another wave of (the great!!!) vodka and pickles program, but I think I may have been increasing the weighs incorrectly. The way I read it was that one increases the starting max weigh by 10 lbs on workout #6 and proceed with percentage increases accordingly. For example, if starting TM is 100lbs, you would follow the protocol of 65%, 70%, 75%, 80% and finally 85% before starting the cycle over by “adding 10 lbs” - so beginning again with a TM of 110lbs. Is this incorrect?

This is the workout for those not familiar: Kettlebells and Deadlifts Go Together Like Vodka and Pickles | StrongFirst
That’s my understanding as well.

Hi Everone,

That's how I ran it years ago. I simplified my math and just did 10lb. jumps each session and then on session six I just added 10lbs. to my starting weight. Slower, more achievable production. I also did both squats and snatches/swings in each session. I just reduced the number of snatches/swings to 80-100 and the squats to 3 x 5. It worked great for me for about nine months back around 2018/2019.

I read it as add 10lbs to each workout (i.e.., when you repeat the 5 workouts it’s 65%+10lbs, 70%+10lbs, etc.)

I got that idea from an article/singles program on DD that was VERY similar: Deadlift Singles Success Story: A Fitness article

But I didn’t consider this other way of reading that, and maybe that’s more correct (and maybe more sustainable for a longer amount of time).
It's not a significant difference if the loads are reasonable. But if a 1RM is specified as the base load, I would assume that the 10 lbs refers to base "100%" value.

Likewise, if you're at a high load, you might do several two week cycles before needing to reset, whereas a lower load will top out in fewer cycles.

Has anyone tried this with barbell presses?

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Some very helpful info here.
I got that idea from an article/singles program on DD that was VERY similar: Deadlift Singles Success Story: A Fitness article
This is a great read. I wasn't aware of this article, but I almost think that rep range is a little more doable over a longer period. Not a huge change from vodka & pickles, but I might give it a go this run.

Has anyone tried this with barbell presses?
This is an interesting idea. I'm currently running the this in parallel to deadlifts this time around, but I bet it would be great if you could dial in some supplemental movements (chins, etc).

I also did both squats and snatches/swings in each session. I just reduced the number of snatches/swings to 80-100 and the squats to 3 x 5. It worked great for me for about nine months back around 2018/2019.
I might give this a go. Looks fun!
I like vodka and pickles.
I'm with you!

Back
Top Bottom