all posts post new thread

Old Forum Heart Rate Variability

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Matt

Level 3 Valued Member
I was wondering if anyone has experimented with heart rate variability monitoring?  I think it is a brilliant idea (reading something from Brett Jones) - would be nice to use it.  I am wondering too if it is possible to gauge without something electronic (just thinking my gym has steppers/walkers etc with a HRT on them - might be able to hack into it and see if it is sensitive enough to show a variability...Gotta be some use for all that junk in the gym I go to? :)).

Matt,

HRV is an "at rest" measure not an "exercise" measure so your cardio equipment will not do it.  (99.9% sure on this)

Look into Ithlete and Bioforce - both iphone apps that use a heart rate "strap"/monitor (think polar chest strap)

HRV is an window into sympathetic/parasympathetic nervous system balance and can be an excellent way to monitor your stress and recovery and aide in programming.

Ok, thanks Brett. I didn't think my MacGyver style monitoring idea would work.

As you'd know and said (aid in programming) - I like the idea of using it when learning movements, or even screening them.  I remember when I first started doing some chopping and lifting - I would sweat more than any strength workout, or even an hour of some athletic activity - now realise (or am guessing) that that was a reflection of the SNS/PSNS activity.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom