all posts post new thread

Old Forum Help planning a TSC inspired event in China

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

James Whitmore

Level 2 Valued Member
So I am English teacher in China and workout at my University's gym. Unfortunately most guys train stereotypical bodybuilder style(mostly isolation, few if any compounds lifts) high reps and burn. I have been training one of my students and working on technique and never to failure. Its getting through. Anyways I want to hold a fun competition for the guys and push them towards some better exercises and to have something to train for.

So I am contemplating putting on  a tsc inspired event. Inspired but I can't do an actual tsc. I'm the only one with a kb and the snatch is just out due to technique and all so I need a replacement exercise for a conditioning test or bw test.

scoring like the tsc. Points based on placement so we don't need weightclasses.

I'm thinking Deadlift (chalk only). Some guys do this and only a very few do it well. I'm helping with pointers when I can.

Benchpress. not tsc but eveyone here does it. Lockout to chest to lockout. Lot of guys only go halfway so I want to force the full rom in the competition.

Pullups: many guys do this, but I will require the tsc standards. Neck or chest touch. No body swing. This event will help balance the scoring for the smaller guys who maybe don't dl or bp as much as some of the bigger guys.

4th event: Looking for suggestion on either another bodyweight drill or conditioning drill to again balance out the two max strength efforts.

So any ideas on a good exercise as a finisher? My student offered maybe an animal style crawl for distance/speed.

thanks ahead of time guys and gals for any suggestions or pointers

that would kill me, but would work well. I personally hate running We could do sprints across the basketball court or use the outdoor track.

I'll keep it in mind. thanks for the suggestion.

James, have a "legal" TSC.  You yourself can do exactly 1 snatch - there is no need to actually _be_ competitive so long as you participate.  This kind of thing has been done before, e.g., someone who is officiating at a TSC does a nominal lift in each of the three events.

If you need more sizes of kettlebell, well, just get them.  They're widely available these days from many sources.

For the deadlift, a belt is allowed - the TSC follows standard powerlifting Raw Division rules, and even though some of us choose not to wear a belt, the majority of competitors do.

Look at the rules for the TSC.  I don't believe one has to complete even a single pullup for their score to count in the Novice Division (and perhaps in Open as well - I'd have to check.)

The important thing is to compete with one's self.  Let everyone know they're participating in an international test of strength, and that the first competition will give them a baseline from which they can strive to improve and the months and years go by.

Just my opinion, of course, but the TSC is a great thing, it's growing and, I hope, it's on its way to widespread acceptance as a standard for non-nonsense, no-doubt-about-it  strength and strength-endurance.  Tell them I said so. :)

-S-

Steve, I appreciate the response. Would it really be a TSC if no one but me participates in the Snatch? the Pullup bar won't meet specification exactly either as it is too short like most gyms. Just the one on the cable machine.

Couple problems with kb exercises here at this time.

1. I have only one 16kb. This is at home and used by my wife and for variety for me. We might get a 20kg for her, but they are a bit expensive and we will only be here for another year so I don't want to invest in multiple bells that I won't be able to keep. I plan on expanding my stateside collection when we get back.

2.The gym is not really interested in listening to what people at the gym want. I'm mean we can't even get a third barbell when the other two are bent slightly. Doubt we could get kbs.

3. No one but me knows how to swing or snatch besides me. I'm just not sure I want to introduce something that could easily cause injuries when improperly used. That's why I am looking for a substitute at least for this year.

Maybe we could do an actual TSC next year. I could teach swings using the grip style barbell plates at the gym. That way maybe we could get a foundation for the snatch or just use swings next year.

Just limited by technique and equipment.

James, I can't tell you if it's really possible, will "work," whatever that means in your context, etc.  But I can tell you I've done a "TSC-of-one" at times, with the location in my basement, and those count, too.

The too-low pullup bar shouldn't be considered a show-stopper as long as people start from a bent-leg (if necessitated by their height), dead-hang position so that their feet can't give them a push.

Duct tape and plates can turn a 20 into a 24 kg if you need to do that.

Best of luck, whatever you decide.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom