all posts post new thread

Old Forum Help with training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

MrMattman

Level 1 Valued Member
I have recently started barbell training to develop my strength.. I do the big three - Squat Deadlift and Bench Press.  I want to be able to perform each of these lifts with proper technique and move my bodywieght ( ~200lbs). With the deadlift I can pull 225, but my squat i tend to have a forward lean  that makes it difficult to do more than 185. I figure its better to focus on developing one movement at a time so I get it right. Any suggestions to remedy this issue?

Follow a program designed by someone that knows what they are doing and get some coaching.

You do not want to get into a habit of doing a good morning in your squats, but there is no reason at all that you can't get better at the basic barbell lifts at the same time. In fact I feel that the basic lifts (and I would include overhead pressing and pullups in there) have a synergy in how they work together in the same program.

I would recommend picking up Starting Strength (book). The book is a good way for novices to learn the basic lifts correctly. The program itself is based on how long you can milk linear progression and if you are older that may not be that long. 5/3/1 is a great barbell program and you could take a look at Pavel's beyond bodybuilding and PTTP also.

Also...one of the greatest resources for learning to squat well and figuring out cues to get past any number of common mistakes can be found at Squat RX set up by Boris who I'm sure is already a member here. These videos along with SS and some hands on training by Jordan Vezina got me on the path.

Code:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=C03D688F10C4DE1F

Don't get paralyzed by over analysis. There is a learning curve and consistency over the long haul (think years) will get you where you want to go.

Save time by finding a coach though if you can.

Pavel, Kai; thank you for your input. I will seek instruction as soon as my finances allow (2-3 weeks) and switch to the front squat for the foreseeable future (almost certainly with kettlebells for the next 6 months at least).  Kai, Starting Strength and PTTP are on my list of books to get, its just a matter of the library system tracking down  copies for me. I'll post updates as I progress on this journey.

Matt, you do not need Starting Strength or PTP to get started on front squats. You are an RKC, right? Vienna, VA 2012? Use a bodybuilding rack, otherwise it is the same technique as with KBs.

Yes Pavel I was there. I cannot call myself RKC though. I failed several things and did not submit a retest video within the 90 day timeframe.  If you want the details, email me. I'd rather not discuss it in an open forum.

Pavel Thank you. That was all it took. I hope you and everyone who is part of StrongFirst has a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Matt, the details are not important. What is important is, if you got the goblet squat down, the barbell front squat is easy to learn

Matt - If you are in driving distance to Virginia Beach and would like help on the skills that did not fair well during your RKC weekend, I would be happy to help.

Contact me at karen@kettlebell-elite.com

Karen

Matt, you've already received excellent advice from the best.  I just want to add my voice to the chorus.

First, get some hands-on training - you have an offer from Karen, who walks the walk as well as any person on the planet I know.  Take her up on that offer and everything else needn't even be said.

Second, I've been very fortunate to work with Marty Gallagher over the last six months, and I met Marty when I watched his 2-hour presentation on squatting at the first Easy Strength weekend a few years ago.  Marty makes it simple - if you can't squat your bodyweight well, you don't move on past that.  The kettlebell goblet squat is the next thing you work on, and after that you might work on the kettlebell or barbell versions of the front squat, and then and only then, the barbell back squat.  This is a solid progression and one you shouldn't ignore.

Last but not least:

The kettlebell is the tool of choice at StrongFirst for good reason.  Stick to kettlebell sumo deadlifts,  kettlebell goblet squats, and standing kettlebell presses until you are ready for other things.  If you learn to do the basic kettlebell lifts well, you'll have laid the foundation upon which you can build for the rest of your life.

-S-

Thank you Steve for your kind words.

If memory serves, I think Matt is from the Salt Lake City area.  James Sjostrom and Dan John are close.  Good choices to seek training from, I would say!

Yes, I live in  northern Utah. I plan on visiting James Sjostrom for a kettlebell basics check up in the near future. Thanks so much for all of your input everyone. I'll post updates on my training progress and hope to see some of you at the SLC StrongFirst KB cert. Take care and stay strong.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom