all posts post new thread

Old Forum High Blood Pressure

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

kettlebellzona

First Post
Do you have any experience or konowledge about the connection between high blood pressure and kettlebell excercises?

Thank you!

How do you mean?

Are you under treatment for high blood pressure?

I have recently realized, that I have high blood pressure ( 145/80-90 in average)

I remember that formerly I had already the same problem, but the doctor said that it is common at teenagers, so i did nothing.

Now I am an instructor and I will go to the doctor next week and really worry that the doctor will say that i need to give up kettlebell.

On the other side, i am very suspicious about the doctor's opinion.I had some back issues before I began to train kettlebell, and 2 famous hungarian doctors prohibited it to me.

I still began to train and my back is perfect!

So, I do not know whether I can believe to a doctor...

Thats why I need your opinions!

Daniel, I am not a doctor, but in my experience, very few doctors suggesting giving up exercise as a treatment for high blood pressure.  Perhaps you need a doctor who is used to treating athletes.

I suggest you ask your doctor if it's OK for you to buy a home blood pressure machine - about $50 here in the US - and take your blood pressure at home for a few weeks.   I suggest this because some people have much higher blood pressure numbers in the doctor's office than they do at home and it's good for your doctor to have as much information as possible.

Find doctors you trust and follow their advice.

Best of luck to you.

-S-

I have recorded my weight and blood pressure every morning for the 17 months I've been training with kettlebell. I was obese and detrained. My blood pressure has tracked with my weight loss. When I started I was on a colostral and BP med. My doctor was good with my training with the caveat that I keep my pulse rate below 140, which I couldn't do with kettlebell. I just had a physical, I'm no longer taking any meds. I owe it to changing the way I eat and regular kettlebell exercise. Do talk to your doctor, I am not one, but my experience in this has been positive. But my issues were self inflicted so I was cleaning up my act. Don't know where you are with that.

I have experience with lowering blood pressure. My experience with lowering blood pressure has more to do with diet and walking than with kettlebells. In a two month period of time I dropped my blood pressure by rearranging my health and fitness priorities. I made diet my top priority and in descending order, walking, strength training & stretching. I know my blood pressure dropped significantly because my blood pressure was taken at the doctor's office in March and again in May.

I like how Pavel has simplified diet: meat for strength and vegetables for health. I wasn't as healthy as I wanted to be so I am eating more vegetables.

You need to work with your doctor on a diet & exercise program. I'm glad I did.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom