all posts post new thread

Off-Topic How are YOU?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I'll go w. an innocuous (albeit important to me) topic: decluttering.

Probably pretty deep if you want to delve into it - how our possessions end up becoming part of our identities. I have a tough time of letting go of some things - books, clothes, my kid's old toys... Nostalgia, "I might need/read that (again)!".

Donating a old faithful car to a charity later today - I'm not a crier, but I won't lie, it's going to be an emotional farewell.

Hello Everybody,

We ask many questions on here about reps, sets and weights. I have a different question :

1. How are you? Any struggles, issues or problems unrelated to exercise you want to discuss?

Thank you, Adam
Man. Thanks for asking.

I’m coming up on 3 years clean (IV drug user). Health and fitness are great. I’m happy with my training progress, etc…
Here’s the thing though…. I used to work on movies/TV. Did photo and video for side gigs. Was a staff writer for some magazines. Had a lot of side hustles. I’ve ALWAYS felt like a had a lot to give and love diving into projects but now after getting my life back together I’m just kind of lost. I still feel like I have SO MUCH potential and drive and work ethic but now I find myself at a tech company doing admin work for like 15/hr. Grateful I even COULD get a job and continued to work through the pandemic and can help support my family, etc…

Just always have a little nagging voice going “but what is your CALLING?”. Ya know? Again. Thanks for asking.

As for me - I am pretty good. Studying up on a course that will pad my resume a bit and open up some different work streams.
It's the middle of summer here where I am, so playing tennis 3-5x a week, trying to golf once a week, SUP every day when at the lake. Getting some much needed vacation time. Always try to make use of summer as I spend winter working harder with my two seasonal side gigs in addition to my full time job. Wondering what a "post-covid" world will feel like. Entire fam is now double vaxxed, so that's a little bit of relief. Still playing it pretty chill re: large gatherings for a while but otherwise, things are good.

Donating a old faithful car to a charity later today - I'm not a crier, but I won't lie, it's going to be an emotional farewell.
I was pretty sad donating my old Suzuki Samurai. Incredibly impractical and parts cost a fortune, but was a great ride.

As for the rest, have fought off and on with depression and mood disorder, either or both possibly related to the migraines I get on a regular. Have been doing well with that for the last few years and would probably improve even more if I were able to meditate more consistently. Have at least gotten to a point where I recognize it happening and am able to maintain some distance, not accept it as true "reality" but rather a temporary misperception. It did get bad enough a while back I was glad I'd sold all my handguns, but thankfully have been doing far, far better and if that's the worst I experience in the future I have the tools to handle it.

Very unfortunately, exercise seems to have zero effect up or down....

Aside from the slight hyperventilation I experience when contemplating the Earth's near future (and by extension mine, my kids etc etc!) am doing reasonably well. The community here is a nice, comfortable, intelligent shop to stop in and chat, much appreciated.

Mate,

It's been rough as hell these past few years. I'm back on antidepressant medication, which I swore I'd never use again when I came off it years ago (although that was macho nonsense and if medication helps, it's worth taking; you wouldn't try to 'tough out' serious physical illness so it makes no sense to treat mental illness any differently).

It seems to be helping and I've been able to focus a bit more recently but, man has it been difficult! The Coronavirus pandemic cost me my job in the events industry (although I'd been trying to find a way out for a while so it's entirely possible that this could prove to be a blessing in disguise, although it's not how I'd have chosen to make my exit).

I've been struggling to get over a really painful and unpleasant relationship that fell apart just over two years ago now but it's been a real learning experience and I think I'm at a point where I'm prepared to acknowledge that it's more important for me to spend some time building myself back up and remembering who I am and what I want just as an individual before trying to open up and share my life with another person. It's lonely, for sure, but it's important: While I'm not saying it's impossible to form a meaningful, healthy, caring relationship while your self-esteem's in the proverbial toilet, it can leave you vulnerable to people who will see your weaknesses and exploit them (possibly without even realising that that's what they're doing). Put on your own oxygen mask first, as they say.

I've been devoting pretty much all of my available energy (i.e. what's left after essential activities) to weightlifting and I recently took the plunge to get my coaching certification from British Weightlifting. I'm still a rank amateur but I honestly can't think of anything else I'd rather do and, when you've been at rock bottom for what feels like a long time, pursuing what some might see as an unorthodox or ill-advised career path really doesn't seem that big a deal compared to some of the alternatives I'd considered.

Got to give myself some props for still being here and for having kept up with my training, although I've not logged anything here in a while. Sometimes I've been on autopilot and training hasn't been particularly effective but I've really found my groove again and it's been mindful, meaningful and effective. I'm making strides forwards (and keeping healthy and injury free) and that's all that really matters.

You know, it feels really good to share these things. @Adam R Mundorf I really appreciate you asking and I hope you're doing okay.

Onwards and upwards!

I’m spreading myself thin trying to give 100% to many different people all at once. I am a criminal defense attorney, and trying to do the best I can by these kids (which most of them are) is a real test. And I’m getting married, moving, and trying to plan an exit strategy to the next stage of my career… lots of balls in the air.

Thank God for Q&D.

Thank you for asking, and thanks to the posts. What a time in history when we can speak openly and honestly about the ups and downs.
Ups for me:
-finding Strong First and the practical application of the tenets therein.
- being employed and living comfortably
- helping my 83 year old dad through his recent widower-hood (which helps me heal from losing my mom)
Downs
- the sore on my lip that appeared right after my mom passed in February
- the Heavy I carry everyday that feels like a slump (it gets lighter when I'm practicing my lifts- DL, BP, SQ, Swings- and greasing the groove)
- allowing others' reactions dictate how I feel about myself
You guys are great. Thanks for giving me a place to unload my head.

I love to get out and play guitar and sing and really missed getting able to do that due to the pandemic. I was just starting to get out in the last few weeks and play some rock & roll and now we've got this delta variant virus surge happening in the southeast US. That is threatening to bring everything to a halt. I confess I am not handling the thought well of having to shut down again right when I have had some cool opportunities open up.

I know that may sound trivial and/or a little selfish but cranking up the stratocaster guitar is significant medicine for my soul and I know it lightens other peoples' day.

I would highly recommend, if you can and you're not already doing it, to volunteer some time some how to help other people who are in need. I have had the opportunity to record happy birthday song videos this year for hospice patients. I jazz it up a little and have fun with it. I don't get to see them view them but the word I'm getting back from the hospice is that they really enjoy them and they keep sending me names. Just a small thing that we started during the isolation of the pandemic but it is very satisfying and healing to me to know that I can do something to bring a little joy to somebody else. Again, I highly recommend doing some volunteering if you can.

What a great thread.
Doing ok thanks. Our youngest teen is recovering from covid, and we are all well. Thankfully no one else came down with it, which surprised me as we had to self isolate in the same house. Quite a stressful few weeks. Thank goodness for having kettlebells at home !

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom