all posts post new thread

Old Forum how do I get a big barbell curl?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

captainabearica

Level 2 Valued Member
I'm just about at the end of my first 5 week mesocycle with 2 workouts a week doing bear from power to the people with deadlift and bench press. I've set PRs for volume while increasing intensity just about every workout I've done.

I've done some gtg pullups and bat wings done for intervals of 30 seconds on 90 seconds off for shoulder health and balance.
I don't want to neglect my biceps though.

It's not a competitive strength sport movement, but I'd like to be able to barbell curl 135lbs.

Has anyone embarked on an endeavor like this? Maybe someone has a program that they know works from experience?

Because no one on this site gives a s*** about big biceps I decided to follow the bear template for barbell curls. I've done two workouts following the bear template and I can do double the volume I'd do with sets of ten resting for 30-60 seconds between sets of 5. Since the barbell curl is a single joint upper body exercise I think it will progress slower than a deadlift or back squat so I decided to do a step cycle. To me it seems like adding 40lbs in 5 weeks to a barbell curl is unrealistic and recipe for failure. It seems like following the bear for barbell curls is reasonable. In Beyond Bodybuilding the barbell curl for sets of 5 is suggested for the '3 to 5' workout. If I can find this post in 4 weeks I'll follow up on the progress.

I think the reason that no one cares about big biceps (though, on a site named strongfirst that's a reasonable bet), but because programming for a curl is not going to be drastically different than other strength movements. Maybe invest in some micro-plates for loading purposes.

Yes, it's single joint, so you may have to be more careful about wear and tear, and it will progress slower. But any strongfirst template still applies, GTG, ladders, or high volume like the bear.

Now, which program would work best will depend on a lot of things. Your current strength level, your training experience, and how your body reacts to training.

I would stick it in an easy strength cycle...

And of c I care about big biceps. But they have taken care of themselves, where as big perhaps isn't bodybuilding big but enough for me.

Pavel actually covers barbell curls in Power to the People, including proper form.  He says to basically tack them on after the other movements.  If you want big biceps, get bigger main lifts such as deads, squats, and big upper body movements.  Big biceps follows getting big all over.

where is pavel's discourse on barbell curls in power to the people? is it in the Q&A section? I just skimmed through the parts on irradiation and breathing and went right to the bear.

Doug,

Towards the end of it when he is going over exercise form. Also goes over how you would program it with regards to other PttP training.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom