all posts post new thread

Barbell How fast do you lose strength?

Bertje

Level 4 Valued Member
Lets say I developed a decent level of strength with power to the people program, and now I go for a 3 week holiday with absolute no strength training... how much weaker will I become after those three weeks? After how many weeks do I lose my neural strength adaptations that I developed through training?

Why not just work on one arm push up progressions, pistol squats, find a park and do some pull ups, dragon flags, hard style planks, McGill big 3 core stability routine, hand stand push ups, regular pushups. There is a lot you could do to maintain strength or maybe even come back a little stronger than you were.

Lets say I developed a decent level of strength with power to the people program, and now I go for a 3 week holiday with absolute no strength training... how much weaker will I become after those three weeks?
I wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy your holiday. If you enjoy training or get a little antsy, find a gym that allows drop-ins, pay the fee ($10-20 usually), and hit a session.
After how many weeks do I lose my neural strength adaptations that I developed through training?
Strength slowly declines. The longer you don't train, the weaker you'll be. No formula necessary. If you CAN'T train, don't worry. Then start doing something when you can.

Lets say I developed a decent level of strength with power to the people program, and now I go for a 3 week holiday with absolute no strength training... how much weaker will I become after those three weeks? After how many weeks do I lose my neural strength adaptations that I developed through training?
I think I remember Pavel saying that the longer you take to gain strength, the longer it will take to loose it. Something like that..... basically if you made gains quickly, you’ll loose them quicker than if you made slow steady gains.
I’ve found that taking a break around 3 weeks like you’re saying, when I come back, I always start with lighter weights than I could do and just add weight every session. Before long, I’m back to where I was, and usually can lift more than before the break fairly quickly.

I go for a 3 week holiday with absolute no strength training... how much weaker will I become after those three weeks?

Types of Strength

The term Strength is usually though of as Maximum, 1 Repetition Max Strength.

However, Power and Speed also fall under Strength".

The length of time before each of these "Types of Strength" to dissipate; decrease is different.

Maxium Strength ususally take longer to decrease when not training.

Power and Speed dissipate at a faster rate.

I have an article on this but can remember what I filed it under.

With that said, the anedoctal data that has been presented falls inline with what research shows...

What happens when you stop working out

You might notice your performance slip, too: “Speed, endurance, and strength can decrease by 25 to 30 percent within two to three weeks,” says Weiss.

A decrease in Strength by 25-30 percent is substantial.

The Good News...
you return but it will all come back quickly once you start lifting again.

Starting Back

when I come back, I always start with lighter weights than I could do and just add weight every session.

This is the most effective method; starting light and gradually increasing the loading.

Too many overzealous individul start back with loads that are too heavy. This approach limits long term progress.

This is the foundation of Periodization Training; the foundation of all well written/executed Strength Training Programs.

Before long, I’m back to where I was, and usually can lift more than before the break fairly quickly.
Varing Exercises

This essentially elicits the same training effect changing exercise after a Periodization Training Cycle based on a certain number of weeks with specific exercises.

Exercise changes can be as simple as going from a Wide Grip Bench Press in one Periodization Training Plan to a Narrow Grip Bench Press or Incline Press in the New Periodization Training Plan.

As 5 X 5 notes, start with a light load and progressively increase it.

Changes in exercises are more effective than in loading schemes to improve muscle strength.
Changes in exercises are more effective than in loading schemes to improve muscle strength - PubMed

Essentially, this falls into the same category Varying Exercise in Periodization Training Plans.

ABSTRACT

Our findings suggest: (a) CIVE (Constant Intensity-Varied Exercise) is more efficient to produce strength gains for physically active individuals; (b) as long as the training intensity reaches an alleged threshold, muscle hypertrophy is similar regardless of the training intensity and exercise variation.

Periodization Training and Varying Exercises

These are two of the fundmental method that ensure long term training progress.

Good morning everybody...

Soon I will be in this situation, 3 weeks on vacation, without access to kettlebells and sandbags.
If I do bodyweight pushups and squats that I can do quickly anywhere, wouldn't the loss of strength be minimized during this period?

Depends on how long you have been lifting and how mature that muscle is. I can go for a long break and only notice a 10% drop whereas other lifters seem to drop much more and much quicker. It would be interesting to know the science behind this. I suspect that this is because the muscle I have is 35 years old and my body is used to carrying a certain amount, so kinda like love handles, it will fight to keep it longer.

Usually, though it comes back fairly quick for most people, so I wouldn't stress about a 3 week holiday.

Good morning everybody...

Soon I will be in this situation, 3 weeks on vacation, without access to kettlebells and sandbags.
If I do bodyweight pushups and squats that I can do quickly anywhere, wouldn't the loss of strength be minimized during this period?
there are plenty of bodyweight exercises that will keep you in great form. Bear crawls, isometrics will give you everything you need. IMO it's a great opportunity to give the joints a rest and learn something new.

Back
Top Bottom