all posts post new thread

Nutrition How much advanced meal prep do you do?

steve-in-kville

Level 5 Valued Member
I know guys/gals that do an entire workweek at once. Others, it's on the spot meal prep, plus some in between stuff.

I've evolved over the years. I'm kind of a hybrid. I keep cooked/prepared ingredients handy and throw a meal together for my lunch that day. Dinner time, I eat what the family is eating, provided it is within my diet. May add some protein it is not enough.

I don't at all but really want to start. It will probably be as you do (lunch only) as I think it's important to have a family meal.

Generally, when I cook, I'll make enough that there will be this thing called "leftovers". The "leftovers", depending on quantity, are eaten for lunches, as a side, and impromptu dinners for 5-7 days.

More seriously though, I do occasionally make a big batch of chili, or pulled pork/beef, stew, fried rice, meat curry sauce, etc so that I always have extra food in the fridge and freezer and there's an abundance of (usually protein-stacked) meals ready to go - this saves a lot of $$ over time because we're less likely to go out or get take out when stuff at home is ready and available. AND, since everything is so freaking expensive now, the last thing we need is spending dough on restaurants and take out that isn't even that great.

I work Tuesday through Friday. So typically I put something in the crockpot at the beginning of the week to last a few days. I usually don’t eat breakfast so lunch and dinner is pretty easy to figure out. I keep bags of frozen veggies so that makes veggies pretty easy and I don’t have to worry about them going bad if I get lazy on vegetables. I always have salad stuff and heads of lettuce so I can quickly make a big salad daily. I’ll usually make a big container of rice too to dip in. This morning when I woke up I knew I was going to lift heavy so I made a big ribeye steak. That will hold me over to dinner.

Last edited:
Once a week I buy a big tray of of ground beef and cook it all at once. I have a small fleet of 8 rectangular Pyrex dishes that I divide it up into.

Ground beef ranges between 6-8 lbs per week. 0.75~1.00 lbs per day.

Sometimes one or two of the Pyrex dishes are occupied.

Once a week works for me.

I keep at least a few days worth of cooked rice in the fridge. My whole family likes white rice, so it goes fast. Tomorrow morning (my typical time to make food on ahead) I'll cook up some boneless chicken breast and roast some veggies in the oven. I can do a variety of things with those three alone. My wife hard-boils eggs by the dozen which makes great snacks. Plenty of fruit, normally bananas.

I can fill my lunch menu alone with that. If we have leftovers from dinner that fits me, I'll do that, too.

Photo of my breakfast.

Better than Bill Gate’s breakfast…. I bet.

Mushrooms that saw real sun light, real organic eggs, high quality olive oil with aborigine, oat meal and almonds.

P rep time is zero …….

Long story … very long story.

Attachments

• IMG_3707.jpeg
    IMG_3707.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 17
The day before I take my leftover dinner for the next day lunch.
Sometime we cook food for the whole week.
For instance, the main dishes (animal food) would be salty so it can be eaten in multiple days. We only cook new rice and veggie

This morning fried up

2kg beef mince
1x400g can each corn, sliced green beans, black beans, lentils, chickpeas
Mexican seasoning

Got 8 Chinese containers in the fridge. Going to put them in the work freezer. Lunch is done for nearly 2 weeks now.

Such a good idea I should do it more often

My wife and I love cooking, and luckily both have very few foods we won't make. So we always try new things, dinner time is 'our time'. We cook daily, most of the time leftovers for lunch. We have no children so we have time, we love it, so that's what we do.

Back
Top Bottom