all posts post new thread

PlanStrong/BuiltStrong How to Train and Test While Working With a 100% Weight

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
I write here about my experience using a 100% 1RM weight in training. I am returning to pressing after a long absence and began with an estimated 1RM of 27 kg, based on training sets of 20 kg x 9 and 24 kg x 4 and feeling I had a little more in me.

After my first Prep Cycle, I felt as I could again press the 28 kg for a single - I tried it and got it, but just barely, with several failed attempts before one went up on each side _slowly_. This was a 100% effort.

For my second Prep and Comp cycles, I included a small number of 28 kg singles. The first few in the second Prep cycle didn't always go on first attempt but did eventually go up. By the time I got to the comp cycle, I programmed 10 singles at 28 kg over my 4 weeks, and all went up. Never more than 2 per session.

For my last day of the comp cycle, I decided to try - and got - 5 singles at 28 kg on about 3 minutes rest between. Going for a double seems liked inviting failure - although it's gotten easier, it's still very close to a 100% effort. I felt like going for a maximum number of singles in one workout seemed a reasonable goal, and I have perhaps added a little to my 1RM, but not enough to make me want to try a double at 28 kg.

My plan for the next Prep cycle is to increase the total number of 28 kg presses. In the past, I've pressed 32 kg for a single after completing an ROP with 24 kg, using a few 28 kg singles and double along the way. Returning to a 32 kg press is my current goal, which is my 1/2 bw press for the open age bracket that is more than a decade behind me now.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom