all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Hyperthropy and Strength

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Breaking Bad & Fast

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello so I am 16M. No previous injuriew, not into sports and nothing like that. I want to get shredded and strong and by reading Pavel Tsatsouline books I have formulated a plan but not sure if it will work.
So I plan on doing mainly Weighted Pullups and Dips and Pistol Squats. I also plan on doing hardstyle abs exercises.

How many times per week and hiw many sets/reps and rest should I do them for hyperthropy?

Also if you have better advice for Bodyweight only hyperthropy you are welcomed.

Thanks in advance

Sommer's work is good, although the edition of the book I have is fairly vague about sets/reps and programming. You could also try Steven Low's book Overcoming Gravity, as it goes into detail about how to program and periodize.

Otherwise, the general format for bodyweight skills is:
Start at manageable set/rep range for 2-3days/week for 2-3 weeks. My personal recommendation is to not go to failure, although there are different schools of thought on this.

Every few weeks, add a few reps or sets until you can do a lot of volume with the given intensity. Once a high amount of volume feels relatively "easy," you progress to a new exercises or intensity. Take deload weeks every 3-4 weeks for recovery and supercompensation.

Example:
First few weeks:
Pushups- 3 sets of 10
Rows - 3 sets of 10

Weeks 3-4:
Pushups- 4 sets of 10
Rows- 4 sets of 10

Week 5: Deload, cut either reps or intensity in half

Week 6-8:
pushups/pullups- 5 sets of 10

(edit: originally typed "week 7")week 9: deload

Week 10:
Dips- 3 sets of 5
Pullups- 3 sets of 5

ETC...

Last edited:
Stick to calisthenics exercises you can do in rep ranges of 12-20 for 2-3 sets. For example the pull up: Do a set of 12(or whatever is close to failure) full range pull ups then immediately hop back on bar and burn out with chin ups or Aussie rows until failure. This can be done for every muscle group using an exercise in that rep range and a regression(easier exercise) for burn out. A great article to check out would be Paul Wades Diesel 20: The “Diesel 20”: Add Twenty Pounds of Muscle in One Year —Using Only Bodyweight.

Cheers, hope that helps.

For hypertrophy use a DeLorme approach combined with Clusters and/or RestPause.

eg- pushups +RestPause:
Say your repmax is 28. 1st set go to 20reps- approx 70% of max. 2nd set do a quick 10reps- approx 30% max. 3rd set AMRAP (technical failure= you are 90% sure you cannot get another clean rep, do not go to full-stall failure), rest 30 seconds and repeat AMRAP, rest 30 seconds and repeat AMRAP. Give yourself a pre-planned number or repeats or a degrade number of reps, so maybe 3 repeats, or stop when you cannot get more than 5 reps.

pushups+Cluster (many ways to use cluster sets, this is one):
perform first two sets as described, on last set do 18 (about 2/3 repmax), rest 30 seconds and repeat 18, repeat this until you cannot hit 18 reps.

These approaches being more for size, but will yield some solid strength gains as well. Do not train individual exercises more than 2x week in this manner.

RestPause is auto-regulating, you do what you can with an honest effort, exact number is not important - it WILL go up over time.

Clusters require a better handle on what you are capable of with a given exercise so you can plan the rep count, but also flexible in that the number of clusters doesn't need to be fixed. When you poop out, you stop.

In your original post, I see you want to get shredded, strong and gain hypertrophy. It is hard for anyone to give advice, as these goals, though similar, may conflict. What are some currant stats about yourself? Training background? Do you want to lose weight/gain weight/get strong?

No one ever got worse off doing dips, chinups, and pistols if they're properly executed and no injuries prevent these from being the ideal exercises. Everything can work, if it's executed well and sensical and the person following the plan adheres to it. Jim Wendler said A crappy program that someone believes in and puts the work into will be more effective than a great program that they don't.

There is an article on this site. Chinups and Dips for mass. I'd suggest you read this if those are your chosen exercises. As for pistols? They will make your lower body work harmoniously and strengthen most of the mass there, but they won't add much beef to them. If that' your goal, have at it. But I'd think 20 rep squats would be more suited to the latter task than pistols.

Pavel's program in Beyond Bodybuilding suggests something similar along the diet of lots of chinups, dips and 20 rep squats for the legs. If mass was your goal, and you're looking for a minimalist program, I'd go with something like this. If you're looking strictly bodyweight, pistols won't add much size, but they'll accentuate the muscle that's already there, or "add the meat that was already supposed to be on your carcass". You have two choices for leg mass from here. High load, or high volume. If load's not available, lunge your way to Rome and back.

For hypertrophic and strength re legs, Mountain Tactical Research has a complex they call "leg blasters" (details and vid demo with a search) that compared well to barbell front squats moderately loaded.

Hello,

As @Philippe Geoffrion mentioned, there is this article on the blog:

There is also this protocol, by Phil Dary, who trains Dustin Poirier (among others)

The leg blaster is here:

Below is a comparision between the leg blaster and the quadzilla (Quadzilla Complex - Mountain Tactical Institute)

Kind regards,

Pet'

If you have a chance to hit the gym for dead and squat, please join. I really wish I focus on heavy lifting like squat and deadlift during my time at high school.

A kettlebell is nice, too; but then I figure out when I'm stronger using heavy compound lift my kettlebell swings and snatch become more powerful. I can milk more the benefit of the light kettlebell compare to the past.

Hypertrophy is easier when using heavyweight. Of course that you don't grow into Arnold after 6 months of 5x5 heavy squat - far from it; but still very promising.

Sorry for not answer your question directly. I'm not a professor about calisthenics/bodyweight exercise so I have no good answers to your questions.

Hello,

Regressions are interesting as far as hypertrophy and strength are concerned:
pistol > cossack > sissy > regular > lunge > calf raises
This is a strategy we can find on the youtube channel calisthenicmovement

It goes for max reps for each variations, with minimal rest between sets.

Aleks Salkin's pLegs workout is also fairly intense.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom