all posts post new thread

Old Forum I have an appointment to see another surgeon.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jeff

Level 5 Valued Member
I injured my left shoulder March 2008.  I saw an orthopedic surgeon in 2009 who took X-rays and mri's of both shoulders.  He removed a bone spur and repaired the supraspinatus on my right shoulder but didn't see anything to fix on my left shoulder, which surprised me because my left shoulder hurt more than my right shoulder.  I went back to see him a year later.  He took more X-rays of my left shoulder and still believed nothing needed to be done.  Several years later I still struggle with my left shoulder.  The shoulder he cut on still feels good.  I recently noticed a bump like you would see with a separation.  I finally decided to see another surgeon.  I dont necessarily want another surgery, but if this saw bones sees something that he can fix I would be all for it just so I can make sustained progress on a program and not get knocked back by persistent shoulder pain.  I sure hope this guy sees something.

Jeffrey,  I had to see three spine doctors until I found one who figured out what was wrong with me, and my back didn't just hurt - I had no feeling in part of one leg and couldn't stand or sit at the time.

Best of luck to you.

-S-

Pavel,

The doctor who operated on my right shoulder said that the torn rotator cuff was not caused by anything I did, but by the bone spur sticking into the muscle.  Do you think Super Joints could prevent the formation of bone spurs?

Jeffrey, the Super Joints books is pretty clear and what it might and might not do for you.

-S-

Jeffery-  I had some AC joint arthritis in my right shoulder and a torn labrum.  I went to a total of 3 docs for opinions before I felt comfortable going under the knife.  Multiple opinions were critical to me before making a big decision and understanding what was going on.  Thankfully since the surgery in 2011 my right shoulder is now stronger than may left [although I still feel minor effects of the surgical work].

Good luck and get the best professional advice you can!

Well, the doctor took X-rays and said I have arthrutis in my shoulder.  It is at least pòssible that I have a torn tendon, but not a big tear.  If I really want one he will order an MRI.  They gave me a rubber band to do the normal internal and external rotation exercises.

Jeffrey, have you read Super Joints and do you practice what's in there?  If not, what are you waiting for?

-S-

Sometimes it's a matter of having too many options, but SJ makes a lot of sense.

That and S&S.  My heart keeps telling me to do double cleans and presses, but my head tells me to do S&S.

Jeffrey, I recall being asked, at a seminar I taught a few years ago, where to put joint health work in one's routine.  My answer required no thought: First.  You do joint health work first, and if you have time to do only one thing, then that's what you do.  Until your body works better, get healthy.  Consider a soft practice of some sort as well, e.g., tai chi, qigong, that sort of thing, and stopping lifting for a while until you have your shoulder issues sorted out.

-S-

i don't recall if I picked up the advice from one of Pavel's writings (most likely) or elsewhere, but in agreement with Steve's point on focusing on mobility first, prior to any training I make sure that I go through a full body mobility session and each year I add another "rep" to each movement so that as I age my focus on mobility increases.  I am 49  so I start with wrist circles and do 49 in one direction and 49 in the opposite, when I turn 50 that number goes to 50 circles.  I use this for each movement of my mobility routine and it is a great way to begin each day and each training session.

Marchese,

Do you do that with each of the exercises from Part 1 of SJ, or just a few select exercises, or do you also include some of the exercises from Part 2 of the book?  How long does it take you to get through your SJ routine?

Marchese - I just turned 51 yesterday. I've no intention of doing 51 wrist circles. As a statement of youth, I'm rebelling and sticking at 50. When I was 49, I rounded it up to 50 so I'm going to claim them back!!

Many previous birthdays I've gone out and got bladdered but this one I finished my last day of Dan John's 10,000 swingathon. Older and wiser.........debatable......but certainly stronger. Got to keep the goal the goal, even if it was my birthday. And then I got bladdered.

What happens when one gets bladdered?  I am not sure if I have been bladdered or not, but I suspect I have.

Sorry, uk slang -  drunk. Maybe even just scottish slang. Too many vodkas or the tipple of choice.

Jeffrey - i do select exercises from part 1 of SJ - neck movements, shoulder circles, wrist rotations, arm circles, ankle circles, knee circles, hula hoops, spine rotations - outside of the neck movements - i do everything for 49 "reps" in both directions and i move through it pretty quickly - the whole thing only takes about 5 minutes.

Alistair - i can appreciate your "statement of youth" plus if your out getting bladdered on a regular basis you're keeping everything well lubricated and you're probably loose enough to stick it at 50 - OR are you going to Benjamin Button it and each year subtract a rotation so by the time you're 80 you'll be back in your 20s again.  not sure that makes sense - but after a few whiskeys ... it might.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom