all posts post new thread

Improve recovery time/speed

matte

Level 2 Valued Member
Hi,
Hoping for some advice if anyone can help. I am trying to find out the best way to train myself to regain my breathe after a bout of intense exertion. Ie if I strike a heavy bag as hard and fast as possible for a minute or so and am gassed, or sprint hard for 30s etc etc. or do mini BW circuit. How do I train to recover as fast as possible so I can go again for round 2 asap. Or throw a bunch of strikes and recover quickly during the actual round to throw them again over and over as such. At present I get really winded by short intense exercise and take ages to get my breathe back. Is this general cardio ie S+S or is there another protocol I can look at to improve this??

Hope that makes sense

Thank you

What I have always done, whether it is in between BJJ or wrestling matches, snatch/swing rounds,etc. is I breath deep into my nose allowing my belly to expand and breath out my mouth. I do this over and over attempting to take long breathes and to slow my breathing down and not freak out. Hope that helps.

I am trying to find out the best way to train myself to regain my breathe after a bout of intense exertion.

@matte, a lesson I learned from Second Wind is to focus on exhaling completely when I'm winded - let the inhale take care of itself, which it will.

Is this general cardio ie S+S or is there another protocol I can look at to improve this??

If you haven't achieved Simple from S&S, that's a good foundation before beginning AXE, and also some sort of walking, hiking, easy jogging, etc., is also good for you. I practice AXE, easy walking, and strength training - for me, it's been a very good combination.

Hi,
Hoping for some advice if anyone can help. I am trying to find out the best way to train myself to regain my breathe after a bout of intense exertion. Ie if I strike a heavy bag as hard and fast as possible for a minute or so and am gassed, or sprint hard for 30s etc etc. or do mini BW circuit. How do I train to recover as fast as possible so I can go again for round 2 asap. Or throw a bunch of strikes and recover quickly during the actual round to throw them again over and over as such. At present I get really winded by short intense exercise and take ages to get my breathe back. Is this general cardio ie S+S or is there another protocol I can look at to improve this??

Hope that makes sense

Thank you
Try the Jordan Position combined with 3 sharp inhales through the nose followed by a longer exhale through the mouth, Repeat a handful of times and then do a bit of Fast and Loose.

some advice if anyone can help. I am trying to find out the best way to train myself to regain my breathe after a bout of intense exertion. How do I train to recover as fast as possible so I can go again for round 2 asap.
Increasing Recovery Time

1) Increasing VO2 Max

Increasing your VO2 Max will increase recovery time.

The most effective method is of quickly increasing VO2 Max is...

High Intensity Interval Training
High Intensity Aerobics Amazingly Effective
Forget the Fat-Burn Zone

The moderate-intensity endurance training program produced a significant increase in V02max (about 10%), but had no effect on anaerobic capacity. The high-intensity intermittent protocol improved V02max by about 14%; anaerobic capacity increased by a whopping 28%.

2) Lactate Threshold Training

During Intense Exercise Lactate Accumulates in the Muscles.

The downside of Lactate Accumulation is a decrease in Maximum Strength, Power and Speed.

Intense physical activity results in lactate production and the accumulation of lactate (Not Lactic Acid!) in exercising muscle is considered one of the main determining factors of fatigue. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1934148215011053#:~:text=It is generally accepted that,main determining factors of fatigue.

Thus, training that improves your body's ability to process Lactate is one of the keys via...

Training

Lactate threshold training means increasing exercise intensity so you train at or just above your LT (Lactate Threshold) heart rate. This training can be interval training or steady-state training. A combination of interval, high-intensity training, and continuous steady-state training may work best.

Two individual who can probably provide you more information on Lactate are John K and North Coast Miller.

The Benefits of Lactate

One of the primary benefits of the Accumulation Of Muscle Lactate is it triggers a downstream effect anabolic response; an increase in Muscle Mass. This is one of the mechanisms that Hypertrophy/Bodybuilding Training revolves around.

if I strike a heavy bag as hard and fast as possible for a minute or so and am gassed, or sprint hard for 30s
The Phosphagen Energy System

There are three Energy System.

The Phosphagen Energy System (Adenosine Triphosphate, ATP) is the one primarily utilized for Maximum Strength, Power and Speed Training Development.

With Intense Exercise, ATP is depleted in approximately 10 seconds. Once it is depleted, Maximum Strength, Power and Speed drop through the floor.

"Super" Fast Type IIb/x Muscle Fiber and "Strength" Fast Twitch Type IIb Muscle Fiber are exhausted in approximately 10 seconds, as well.

Once they are exhausted, they are no longer being innervated (working), trained nor developed.

The Slow Twitch Type I Muscle Fiber become more involved; are innervated, trained and developed. Great for Endurance Training but not Strength.

Thus, Intensely striking a heavy back for 60 seconds is counter productive for developing Maximum Strength, Power and/or Speed.

While 30 second Sprints fall into the Phosphagen Energy System, after 10 seconds there is a dramatic drop in Force Production.

Cluster Set Bag Punching

Cluster Set Training equates to High Intensity Interval Aerobic Training or High Intensity Interval Resistance Training.

This method ensures Power is maintained while increasing Aerobic Capacity.

Bag Punching Example

1) 10-15 Second Intervals

Heavy Bag Punching for 10-15 Seconds.

2) Rest Periods between Heavy Bag Punching

a) Rest Periods between Heavy Bag Punching of 10-15 seconds increase Aerobic and Anaerobic (Strength) Capacity; Aerobic more than Anaerobic Capacity.

b) Rest Periods between Heavy Bag Punching of 10-15 seconds increase Aerobic and Anaerobic (Strength) Capacity; Anaerobic to a greater degree than Aerobic Capacity.

Repeat the sequence.

Understanding Training Concepts

The key to a well written Training Program revolves around Understand Training Concepts; how thing work.

Last edited:
I have played tuba for over 20 years and it requires a lot of air movement. I have learned to have great awareness and control over my breathing.

So one of the things I do with relative ease is breath control/manipulation.

Lamaze breathing
The classic he he whoo~~ he he whoo~~
calms the nerves
Slows the pace of breathing

Box breathing
In, hold, out, hold (2 seconds each)

Tempo breathing
2 in 2 out, 2 in 3 out, 2 in 4 out, ... Etc.
2 in 2 out, 3 in 3 out, 4 in 4 out, ... Etc.
You can use the pace of your steps as the metronome, or your own heart rate, if you can count the beats.
Stretch the increments as far as you want or need to make a difference. I usually go from 2 to 8 or so.

Sumo breathing
Take up a sumo stance feet 2x shoulder width, sink your hips, hands on your knees.
Take full breaths as slow as you can, ramp up to full breaths as fast as you can without falling over, ramp back down to as slow as you can.

There are many ways to use controlled breathing.

Last edited:
Talking to a fellow dog walker who is a PhD sports scientist and former cycling coach about vo2 max and all things training variables wise.....

Basically....if you are a regular trainee with a good base, doing hours of volume is not as time efficient as intervals to maintain vo2 max and, with some caveats, (ie frequency, intensity) improve it. That is, if you have a good base of aerobic function or cardio metabolic function.

So, without a robust system, intervals work well...depending on how they are employed....but not aswell without a base. Do intervals build a base? Yes, upto a point....and we arrive at how well your energy system functions.

You will note already that a fine combo here is easy aerobic activity combined with moderated high intensity interval training. Many reasons why this is very effective 'in general', other methods are available when implemented appropriately to a given population.

Tl:Dr

Do S&S, or similar, with some easy aerobic activity.

Increasing Recovery Time

1) Increasing VO2 Max

Increasing your VO2 Max will increase recovery time.

The most effective method is of quickly increasing VO2 Max is...

High Intensity Interval Training
High Intensity Aerobics Amazingly Effective
Forget the Fat-Burn Zone

The moderate-intensity endurance training program produced a significant increase in V02max (about 10%), but had no effect on anaerobic capacity. The high-intensity intermittent protocol improved V02max by about 14%; anaerobic capacity increased by a whopping 28%.

2) Lactate Threshold Training

During Intense Exercise Lactate Accumulates in the Muscles.

The downside of Lactate Accumulation is a decrease in Maximum Strength, Power and Speed.

Intense physical activity results in lactate production and the accumulation of lactate (Not Lactic Acid!) in exercising muscle is considered one of the main determining factors of fatigue. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1934148215011053#:~:text=It is generally accepted that,main determining factors of fatigue.

Thus, training that improves your body's ability to process Lactate is one of the keys via...

Training

Lactate threshold training means increasing exercise intensity so you train at or just above your LT (Lactate Threshold) heart rate. This training can be interval training or steady-state training. A combination of interval, high-intensity training, and continuous steady-state training may work best.

Two individual who can probably provide you more information on Lactate are John K and North Coast Miller.

The Benefits of Lactate

One of the primary benefits of the Accumulation Of Muscle Lactate is it triggers a downstream effect anabolic response; an increase in Muscle Mass. This is one of the mechanisms that Hypertrophy/Bodybuilding Training revolves around.

The Phosphagen Energy System

There are three Energy System.

The Phosphagen Energy System (Adenosine Triphosphate, ATP) is the one primarily utilized for Maximum Strength, Power and Speed Training Development.

With Intense Exercise, ATP is depleted in approximately 10 seconds. Once it is depleted, Maximum Strength, Power and Speed drop through the floor.

"Super" Fast Type IIb/x Muscle Fiber and "Strength" Fast Twitch Type IIb Muscle Fiber are exhausted in approximately 10 seconds, as well.

Once they are exhausted, they are no longer being innervated (working), trained nor developed.

The Slow Twitch Type I Muscle Fiber become more involved; are innervated, trained and developed. Great for Endurance Training but not Strength.

Thus, Intensely striking a heavy back for 60 seconds is counter productive for developing Maximum Strength, Power and/or Speed.

While 30 second Sprints fall into the Phosphagen Energy System, after 10 seconds there is a dramatic drop in Force Production.

Cluster Set Bag Punching

Cluster Set Training equates to High Intensity Interval Aerobic Training or High Intensity Interval Resistance Training.

This method ensures Power is maintained while increasing Aerobic Capacity.

Bag Punching Example

1) 10-15 Second Intervals

Heavy Bag Punching for 10-15 Seconds.

2) Rest Periods between Heavy Bag Punching

a) Rest Periods between Heavy Bag Punching of 10-15 seconds increase Aerobic and Anaerobic (Strength) Capacity; Aerobic more than Anaerobic Capacity.

b) Rest Periods between Heavy Bag Punching of 10-15 seconds increase Aerobic and Anaerobic (Strength) Capacity; Anaerobic to a greater degree than Aerobic Capacity.

Repeat the sequence.

Understanding Training Concepts

The key to a well written Training Program revolves around Understand Training Concepts; how thing work.
What an answer, thank you very much!!
Essentially, before going into a fight simulation/sparring, I will get run through a mini BW circuit to take away speed/strength/breath etc, This could be a few sprints followed by squats push ups plyo pushups hitting the bag hard etc. This all probably last about 3 -4 mins. At this point I then have to go fight and defend myself whilst still recovering. This is what I need to improve. How do I recover breathe/strength etc as much as can be done in the recovery time (prob 20-30s) before having to then fight. Last time I was so gassed it was hard to even throw a few punches!!!!

This is what I need to improve. How do I recover breathe/strength etc as much as can be done in the recovery time (prob 20-30s) before having to then fight. Last time I was so gassed it was hard to even throw a few punches!!!!
I think the answer has already been given - you're going to have to train your a#@ off. Of course proper breathing and fast&loose drills will probably help a little, but you can only recover so much in 20-30 seconds if you're not in good enough shape to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom