all posts post new thread

Increasing My One Arm Push Up Reps

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Adrianmata77

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello, my name is Adrián.

This log has 1 purpose, I am trying to add reps to my One Arm Push Ups.

Height: 1.73 CM /
Weight: 73 K /
Years: 28 /
One Arm Push Up Personal Record: 3

Abbreviations: OAPU: One Arm Push Up
NK: Naked Warrior Book
PR: Personal Record

Background:
I grew up in a farm. I was very physically active throughout my childhood and teenage years. I was not a sports person, though. I have never been overweight.
So far, I have been working and sitting in front of a desk for 5 years. I began to worry about my longevity 3 years ago. I started yoga, I was doing 2-3 classes per week. I did well, I started stretching at home and memorizing routines. Finally, I ran into Strongfirst and Mr. Tsatsouline's work. I bought the Naked Warrior and Super Joints books. I learned the techniques, but I overlooked the programming tips in the Naked Warrior book. I began exercising for fun, so I never even thought of the amount of sets/reps. I was thinking of feeling good, and taking care of myself only.

I will try to reach my goal by "Greasing The Groove". All this time, I have been stuck at a max of 3 OAPU's each side. I think, it happened because I used to do just regular OAPU's and Dead Start OAPU's. I did not fluctuate my OAPU training that much. From now on, I will keep track of my OAPU routines here. I will play with leverage and extra weight more often.

Cheers,
Adrián

I have been greasing the groove since 6 am.
I live in Costa Rica, so I use kilos and centimeters.
This is what I did today:

-1 rep - OAPU holding a 5 kilos rock with my free hand - the busy hand was elevated by 40 cm
-2 reps - OAPU holding a 3k rice bag - 20 cm elevation
-1 rep - dead start OAPU - ground level
-3 reps - OAPU - 20 cm elevation
-1 rep - OAPU holding a 3k rice bag - ground level
-2 reps - OAPU 3k rice bag - 40 cm elevation
-3 reps - OAPU - 40 cm elevation
-1 rep - OAPU 3k rice bag - ground level
-1 rep - OAPU 5k rock - 20 cm elevation (form was not perfect on the left side, right side was smooth as always)
-4 reps - OAPU - 40 cm elevation
-3 reps - OAPU - 20 cm elevation
-2 reps - OAPU - ground level

My conclusion today : I need a smaller rock! ? I will take it easy tomorrow. Maybe I will just rest.
I will check my new PR on January.

Cheers

Good morning!
This is what I did yesterday:

-6 reps - bodyweight OAPU - 60 cm elevation
-6 reps - bodyweight OAPU - 90 degrees wall
-4 reps - bodyweight OAPU - 40 cm elevation

I decided to go easy on OAPU's because the 5 kilos rock OAPU with 20 cm elevation on the left hand side led me to a poor form in the bottom position of the exercise. My left shoulder did not appreciate it. In a scale from 1-10, it hurt only 0.75. But, I preferred to rest and play just a little with the high elevations only. I will be more careful with the extra weight. I might stick to the 3 kilos rice bags for now. Also, the inner parts of my triceps (medial head, near the inner elbow insertion) were very tired yesterday. I used to feel that sensation when I was new to OAPU's, that was more than a year and a half ago. It is interesting to feel that again after such a long time. I wonder if the fluctuations in the exercise caused it. My left hand side is the weak one. So my left triceps were more tired than the right hand side ones.
I still did regular push ups, squats, hollow rocks, articular mobility and some other bodyweight excersises on the top of my OAPU's.

Hola!
I read this thread: Naked Warrior Companion Thread Volume 1: Useful Add Ons

So, I started following those tips. This is what I did today:
- 45 mins jump rope. My calves are on fire.
- Hindu push up finisher. It was easy because that is my favorite excersise.
-3 sets of bodyweight rows. 5 reps.
-4 sets of dips. 7 reps (This exercise was not mentioned in the thread, but I added it because I was kind of tired of the bodyweight rows).
-3 sets of negative OAPU's. 2 sets were done at ground level. The first set was for 6 reps. I did 4 reps on the 2nd set. Finally, I did another 5 negative reps with a hand elevation of 20 cm.

Cheers!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom