all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Interesting gains during the quarantine

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I've been to the combine. Surprised they are still using that test.

IMHO, it's a pretty dopey test that isn't a particularly good leading indicator of football success.

I played center and never had the biggest bench on the team amongst the offensive line, but I was always a starter.

But it makes for good TV when the NFL broadcasts the combine.

When kickers are shown cranking out reps of 225, you know it's just for entertainment.

Hello,

This was the try out to Shamrock's Lions Den

This is completely different from a bench press test

Kind regards,

Pet'

IMHO, it's a pretty dopey test that isn't a particularly good leading indicator of football success.

I played center and never had the biggest bench on the team amongst the offensive line, but I was always a starter.

But it makes for good TV when the NFL broadcasts the combine.

When kickers are shown cranking out reps of 225, you know it's just for entertainment.

Yeah, nice. They did not let us bounce (1986 ), vertical jump test was with blue chalk on your fingers and jumping up the side of a wall and 40's timed by hand. Not nearly the event it is now, and those 34 years went crazy fast. Funny and depressing at the same time! Seize the day.

Hello,

This was the try out to Shamrock's Lions Den

This is completely different from a bench press test

Kind regards,

Pet'
Average football play, 6 seconds. Five, five minute rounds street fighting? Nasty.

Hello,

Shaw & Oberst for the NFL bench combine

Kind regards,

Pet'

"After a complicated game of “rock, paper, scissors”, the four-time World’s Strongest Man went first and completed 44 reps before failing on the 45th. Next up was Oberst who completed 42 reps before racking the weight. Shaw acknowledged the situation Oberst was facing but he still declared himself the winner of this contest.

While the two men performed a very high amount of reps, neither man was able to break the NFL Combine record for most reps performed successfully. In 1999, Justin Ernest of Eastern Kentucky University completed 51 reps, which is still the standing record."

What a great example of the SAID Principle.

"After a complicated game of “rock, paper, scissors”, the four-time World’s Strongest Man went first and completed 44 reps before failing on the 45th. Next up was Oberst who completed 42 reps before racking the weight. Shaw acknowledged the situation Oberst was facing but he still declared himself the winner of this contest.

While the two men performed a very high amount of reps, neither man was able to break the NFL Combine record for most reps performed successfully. In 1999, Justin Ernest of Eastern Kentucky University completed 51 reps, which is still the standing record."

What a great example of the SAID Principle.

That last line was a great statement. Both Brian and Obie are some of the biggest and strongest humans to have ever walked the planet.

Yet they didn't break the combine Bench record. Does that make them weak?

Nope. It just means they are not adapted for that specific test. I gaurantee after 12 weeks max of training specifically for that event they would both beat it.

Hello,

It's been going strong!

I made one adjustment though. I have a pull-up bar now and have added towel pull-ups. Between the HSPUs, towel PUs and hill sprints, my physique looks better and I feel amazing!
Great :) !

Did you have a chance to see how it transfers to your wrestling ? Here in France, all "contact activities" such as combat sport are forbidden due to the pandemic.

How is it structure during the week ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Great :) !

Did you have a chance to see how it transfers to your wrestling ? Here in France, all "contact activities" such as combat sport are forbidden due to the pandemic.

How is it structure during the week ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

The biggest transfer has been primarily from losing the bodyfat and improved nimbleness I believe from the sprinting. My takedowns have been quicker and are a fairly similar movement pattern to the start of a steep hill sprint. Towel PUs do wonders for grip. I wish I had a rope to climb because if I did, I would.

As far as how my training is structured, it's very intuitive at this point. Sometimes I train twice a week and other weeks it can be up to 5 or 6 sessions depending on my recovery and the intensity/volume of each workout. I wrestle 1-2x a week.

Hello,

@xagunos
I understand.

I also noticed that sprinting makes my boxing footwork more efficient, especially if I pair it with jump rope.

So you vary a lot the number of sessions. I guess this is one of the keys to your success ! Regardless the frequency, are the session the same (sets, reps, etc...)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@xagunos
I understand.

I also noticed that sprinting makes my boxing footwork more efficient, especially if I pair it with jump rope.

So you vary a lot the number of sessions. I guess this is one of the keys to your success ! Regardless the frequency, are the session the same (sets, reps, etc...)

Kind regards,

Pet'
For boxing, jump rope and sprints are a nasty combo!

I vary frequency, sets, reps while keeping intensity as high as possible. I wouldn't mind keeping a more strict schedule however due to two full-time jobs, my recovery can be limited during certain bouts of intense work.

Hello,

@xagunos
I vary frequency, sets, reps while keeping intensity as high as possible. I wouldn't mind keeping a more strict schedule however due to two full-time jobs, my recovery can be limited during certain bouts of intense work.
This is quite motivating, because sooner or later, I will also get back to a bodyweight only training routine (good ratio between conveniency and efficacy). So I am glad to see that something "that simple" (but not easy !) works so well ! Indeed, wrestling requires plenty of GPP, which is what I am always after :)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@xagunos

This is quite motivating, because sooner or later, I will also get back to a bodyweight only training routine (good ratio between conveniency and efficacy). So I am glad to see that something "that simple" (but not easy !) works so well ! Indeed, wrestling requires plenty of GPP, which is what I am always after :)

Kind regards,

Pet'
It works great! I personally believe every man can build up to and maintain reps of freestanding HeSPUs on the floor, towel PUs (I personally prefer the bodybuilding retracted scap style) and steep hill sprints all while staying healthy and having a solid base of strength, mobility and conditioning.

Hello,

@xagunos
Sure !

To a certain extent, before moving weights, we have to move well our bodies. I guess this is why gymnastics training transfer better to weight training than the other way around.

If you had to compare this routine and your previous one, which I guess require weight, is there one more 'efficient' than the other ? How would you describe them ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom