all posts post new thread

Old Forum Interesting WTH Effect from ROP

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jim Lauerman

Level 6 Valued Member
To keep myself from rushing between sets during the ROP, I don't begin a set or ladder until my heart rate drops below 100.  This little trick, alnong with finally learning to "get tight" has finally allowed me to see excellent progress on the ROP.

When I started doing this I expected my recovery between sets/ladders to be about the same from workout to workout. After all, the ROP does not appear to be designed to significantly improve asrobic conditioning.

Interestingly, my rate of recovery has been improved a great deal. I am able to complete ladders of 5 X 1-4 in about the same time as it took me to do 5 X 1-3 a couple of weeks ago, all still recovering to a heart rate of 100 BPM.

My unscientific assumption is that as I get stronger it takes less of my over all work capacity to complete the ladders, hence the aerobic recovery is shortened.

This may be of interest only to me but I thought. I'd share it.

Jim

thanks for sharing Jim. As I am going thru an ROPish type program,  am also learning a lot. That's the fun part of a program is make different people do it and you get a lot more insights

thats a really cool idea. 2 questions

why 100 bpm?

where do you put the watch from your heart rate monitor? I tried putting mine on the floor but it lost conection. any tricks?

I did similarly two months ago with two handed swings. I began the new set when  my HR was at 110. Sets of twelve, eleven, ten reps mostly. 36 kilos. I got 500 in one hour and ten or fifteen minutes and ended surprisingly fresh.

Chris,

The 100 BPM is purely arbitrary but here's my rational: My max heartrate is about 163 and my reating herat rate is about 50.  100 is about 60% of my max and alllows me to complete a ladder with my heart rate below 140 which seems to be about my anaerobic threshold.

I also read somewhere (I think on this forum) that Marty Gallagher (a man who I have found to be very knowledgeable) suggested that one should recover his heart rate between sets and then wait about another minute. I "feel" recovered at about 110 and by the time my HR is 100, I'm raring to go.

My heart rate monitor sets on a table during the sets and indeed loses connection until i walk over to the table. I don't care. The monitor is simply a tool I use to overcome my "get it done" obsession. I think of it as artificial patience. Remember, the point in the ROP is to get stronger, not to achieve some arbitrary heart rate. And getting stronger is what is happening. I am progressing better at the ROP now than ever before in the four years I've been using ETK.

I hope this helps.

Jim

I also used to do this with swings.  I'd set a 20 min time period and do a set of five reps per hand.  Then I'd rest until my HR was  %80 of max and then swing it back up again to %95.  I'd repeat this for the whole time period and noticed my conditioning and workload increasing over time.  I was able to put my watch on a chair beside my workout area and still get reception.

I've been doing similar tracking of my heart rate while doing RoP, and I'm also seeing recovery times decrease as I go.

To find my target HR, I've been following the formula from Dan John's post at http://danjohn.net/2013/07/insights-from-the-10000-rep-challenge-and-costa-rica-powerpoint/ For me, I wait until I'm under 120 BPM to start a set.

As for where to put the monitor, I just stick it in my pocket during presses. Hasn't been a problem.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom