all posts post new thread

Nutrition 'Intermittent Fasting' by skipping Lunch?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
The figure of 12 hours was floated here - Minimum time for IF benefits
12 Hour Minimum

Brad Pilon, MS Nutrition, Master Thesis determined that 12 hour was the entry level for getting into Fasting.

16 - 24 hour Intermittent Fast appear to the sweet spot.

Research show the Fast of up to 72 hours predominately burn fat with very little muscle protein breakdown.

Couple questions spring to mind: could one perform a day's worth of physical activity during the 12+ hours- lighter activity like hiking? Heavier activity like manual labour?

Fasted Training

Training in a Fasted State works.

As an example, I had a Heavy Squat Training Session after a 47 hour Fast with no problem.

With that said, let look at...

Fasted and Ketogenic Diet Training Programs

Due to low Muscle Glycogen levels, Fasted and Ketogenic Diet individuals need to maintain their training in the Phosphagen Energy System. This has been addressed several times in post on this site.

Since Phosphagen is the primary fuel in this energy system, it works for Fasted and Ketogenic Diet or those on a Standard High Carbohydrate American Diet; since glycogen isn't the fuel choice.

"eat every three hours" 'advice' from fitness magazines

Bro Science

This is one of the dumbest term that anyone came up with. Other terms for it might be "Meathead" or "Neanderthal".

The information on "Eat every three hours" is based on information that was extrapolated off incomplete research.

Refractory Period

Research by Dr Gabriel Wilson, Layne Norton, etc. determined that Muscle Protein Synthesis was optimized when meals/protein was ingested every 4 - 6 hours.

Sponge Example

Think of Muscle Protein Synthesis like a sponge. It soaks up, absorbs more when dry rather than wet.

The research determined that, metaphorically speaking, it took 4 - 6 hour for the "Muscle Protein Synthesis Sponge" to dry out and most effective absorb and utilize protein.

It perplexes me how people have time to prep so much food and weigh it all out.

Making Time

Statement like this are make no sense.

Individual always "Have Time" for thing that are important to them.

When an individual state that "They don't have time", it means that whatever it is has no value to them.

The Take Home Message

We all "Make Time", "Find Time" and "Have Time" for what is important to us.

Food Prep and Weighing It

I weigh and measure everything that I eat.

I don't spend much time on food prep. I use the Slow Crock Pot for most of my items.

Doing so ensure that I consume enough protein per meal. It that I consume enough fat to maintain ketosis.

I think they are usually the obsessed type: bodybuilders or those who want to be bodybuilders have that tendency to be over-obsessive about their gainz....

One of The Keys For Success

Dr. Judd Biasiotto is a Sport Psychologist and former Powerlifter. Strongfirst has a great interview with him by Dr. Craig Marker.

Biasiotto was one of the the lightest drug free Powerlifters (132 lbs) to Squat over 600 lbs.

One research article that he wrote was on the character qualities of great athletes. One of those qualities was the "Obsession for Details."

Like someone said, "The Devils is in the Details".

While I understand that some individual's allow their Obsession make others crazy; it doesn't have to be that way.

That is my understanding, at least without doing a chunk of research on it.

"Knowledge is Power"

One of the keys to formulating a successful plan is to do the research.

"Success favors the prepared".

"Research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing." Einstein

Trial and Error are always part of the learning curve, even for Einstein.

With that said, the greater research knowledge an individual has, the less time spend with Trial and Error.

Last edited:
From what I've seen there's the 16/8 group who seem to have more muscle (Hugh Jackman, rich froning, martin berkhan, Terry Cruz, etc) and the 20/4 or OMAD who are leaner (Pavel, GSP, Ori, Nun amen ra, hershel Walker).
Invalid Conclusion

Your conclusion remind me of the story of Aliens who go to a Basketball Game.

They report back with their conclusions that...

Playing Basketball make you tall.

Sitting in the bleacher makes you short.

Invalid Conclusion

Your conclusion remind me of the story of Aliens who go to a Basketball Game.

They report back with their conclusions that...

Playing Basketball make you tall.

Sitting in the bleacher makes you short.
Perhaps. But if it is invalid are you saying if we took the individuals and swapped their diets for the opposite fasting protocol that their results would be the same? Or would their results change due to more (or less) of eating?

12 Hour Minimum

Brad Pilon, MS Nutrition, Master Thesis determined that 12 hour was the entry level for getting into Fasting.

16 - 24 hour Intermittent Fast appear to the sweet spot.

Research show the Fast of up to 72 hours predominately burn fat with very little muscle protein breakdown.

Fasted Training

Training in a Fasted State works.

As an example, I had a Heavy Squat Training Session after a 47 hour Fast with no problem.

With that said, let look at...

Fasted and Ketogenic Diet Training Programs

Due to low Muscle Glycogen levels, Fasted and Ketogenic Diet individuals need to maintain their training in the Phosphagen Energy System. This has been addressed several times in post on this site.

Since Phosphagen is the primary fuel in this energy system, it works for Fasted and Ketogenic Diet or those on a Standard High Carbohydrate American Diet; since glycogen isn't the fuel choice.

Bro Science

This is one of the dumbest term that anyone came up with. Other terms for it might be "Meathead" or "Neanderthal".

The information on "Eat every three hours" is based on information that was extrapolated off incomplete research.

Refractory Period

Research by Dr Gabriel Wilson, Layne Norton, etc. determined that Muscle Protein Synthesis was optimized when meals/protein was ingested every 4 - 6 hours.

Sponge Example

Think of Muscle Protein Synthesis like a sponge. It soaks up, absorbs more when dry rather than wet.

The research determined that, metaphorically speaking, it took 4 - 6 hour for the "Muscle Protein Synthesis Sponge" to dry out and most effective absorb and utilize protein.

Making Time

Statement like this are make no sense.

Individual always "Have Time" for thing that are important to them.

When an individual state that "They don't have time", it means that whatever it is has no value to them.

The Take Home Message

We all "Make Time", "Find Time" and "Have Time" for what is important to us.

Food Prep and Weighing It

I weigh and measure everything that I eat.

I don't spend much time on food prep. I use the Slow Crock Pot for most of my items.

Doing so ensure that I consume enough protein per meal. It that I consume enough fat to maintain ketosis.

One of The Keys For Success

Dr. Judd Biasiotto is a Sport Psychologist and former Powerlifter. Strongfirst has a great interview with him by Dr. Craig Marker.

Biasiotto was one of the the lightest drug free Powerlifters (132 lbs) to Squat over 600 lbs.

One research article that he wrote was on the character qualities of great athletes. One of those qualities was the "Obsession for Details."

Like someone said, "The Devils is in the Details".

While I understand that some individual's allow their Obsession make others crazy; it doesn't have to be that way.

"Knowledge is Power"

One of the keys to formulating a successful plan is to do the research.

"Success favors the prepared".

"Research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing." Einstein

Trial and Error are always part of the learning curve, even for Einstein.

With that said, the greater research knowledge an individual has, the less time spend with Trial and Error.
You are very correct, I'm just not willing to make the time.....

Have been wondering about these dynamics and how metabolically the ketosis individual uses these systems. The research shows that muscle glycogen stores return nearly to baseline in a relatively short period of time (days/weeks) and that CrossFit keto is only a small amount degraded performance relative to full spectrum metabolic fuel use.

Has any research been done to see what is happening at cellular level, eg does the presence of abundent ketones restrict pyruvate utilization? This would allow use of glucose for type II fibers yet preserve overall levels via lactate through cori cycle. It seems impossible for something of this sort to not be the case.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom