all posts post new thread

Old Forum Intro and ramblings from an overweight newbie!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

neiljmuk

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi all!  I thought I'd introduce myself.  Someone who is into what Pavel teaches us about Kettlebells and much of the old DD philosophy.

Despite the above and purchasing a bell some 4 years ago, I'll kinda tinkered with it whilst doing nothing in particular since (except drinking a little too much and being too sedentary in my approach to life!).  I'm fat (15st,10lb and 5'11) putting it bluntly.

For obvious reasons (one would hope), my baby who turns 1 next week has become the motivation to sort this out once and for all.  It ought to have been when I found out my wife was Pregnant but ironically I think that gave me too much other stuff to focus on as we prepared for the birth and those early weeks and months.

I have to be strong, healthy, and active if I am to teach my child the same principles and I want this for myself so this is where I start to read the books and learn the knowledge and give it a little time daily going forwards.

I've started out reading over Convict Conditions, Pavels own Naked Warrior, and Solitary Confinement (Charles Bronson).  From what I can see I think I can allow a degree of crossover in addition to Kettlebell work but have to say that the principles in Naked Warrior seem to me like the most important I will possibly ever learn, especially the muscle tension stuff!

So, in terms of making sure this is not just another talk the talk session which I fail to stick at, I'll post this, and I'll keep on posting progress.

I don't know how far I can take it but I'm loving the whole SF culture and what it stands for so we'll see.  Going to stat a blog too then it's all nice and accountable in terms of measuring my success.

Sorry for rambling!

Welcome Neil!  You mention several different things there, my best advice is to pick one thing and stick with it.  I would recommend kettlebells, would not recommend CC, don't know much about the solitary confinement book.  Remember, consistency trumps intensity every time, especially in physical transformation.  Make sure your workouts are repeatable, and fun, and just keep consistently showing up and training, and you'll get better.   Keep both a training log and a food log (you can drop the food log later, but the training log will be a lifelong friend).

What are you doing as far as dietary changes?

all the best in your quest for strength.  i enjoyed both Convict Conditioning and Naked Warrior, but for my money Enter the Kettlebell is a lifesaver.  even when i am going thru hell and can't find time for a workout, a quick set of 5 getups and 50 swings sets me straight and gets my head back in the game.  i find the kettlebell to be the greatest strength training tool on the market.  now in my late 40s i have one 24kg bell and i use it at home 5 days a week.  whether its 10 getups to get my shoulders feeling solid and strong, 10 sets of 50 swings to condition my mind and body, or the RKC minimum, the kettlebell has proven to be all i need to be strong, feel great and walk with my belly out and my head held high.  by the way, my wife loves the kettlebell too ... kettlebell swings turn your hips into a jack hammer ... read between the lines ... what could be better!  all the best.

Hello Neil,

Welcome to the board. You've got the bell, Pavel has the plan - why not start with Program minimum and then advance to Rite of Passage? Start training now without excuses, don't miss a workout and be "the guy that trains and don't eat junk food and sugar". Be consistent with this and I'm sure you'll see great changes in your physique and health.

Good luck.

Thanks for the responses and the general feedback guys! The support will be great going forward and being a part of something like this, a community is going to really help.

It seems that centering what ever I do around Kettlebell work is unanimous in terms of recommendations being given by you all and that works for me! I have Enter the Kettlebell and will focus my attention to what is tought in this book with immediate effect drawing a line under what I've been doing so far which basically amoints to tinkering, though not a complete waste of time (being totaly out of shape, anything will get early results)...

Just a few questions:

Jason, why don't you recommend CC?  I know that if I had to work on press-ups for example then the incline stuff would assist when I can only do a couple with good form as it is...

As for nutrition. This probably stops well short of being perfect but in terms of changes I have switched to salads with some protein in tuna or chicken, and what ever is out that day, be this a bit of cous cous, pasta or a baked potato, when at work as opposed to junk I had before. Later on, the main meal, will generally try to have Chicken or oily fish like Salmon, veg such as broccoli and go easy on the carbs. There will be days where a stew is done in the slow cooker, and other not so perfect meals but certainly very little in the way of fatty junk. Only use olive oils. Snacks later on of mainly cottage cheese or peanut butter. Stripping out alcohol in the week too, and initially some calorie counting as much as I dread to say it, but useful in terms of just getting some of the intial weight off and when cooking but I know that a clean diet will negate the need for this with more physical activity.

A final question in respect to following the program minimum. Is it generally counter productive to be doing other stuff in your opinion, even if it's a few basic body weight moves applying some of the muscle tension principles - you know, a little variety. Perhaps I will get all this from ETK but I've always wanted to run before I can walk.

Neil,

Welcome, and congratulations on your resolve to make a change.  I would not do too much hard work in conjunction with the program minimum. Take your time and build volume- swings and getups will do the trick.  However, I recommend that you make corrections in posture, mobility, and flexibility.  On days  you don't kettlebell, or at other times of day, take the time to stretch and work on joint mobility work.  Many people who are obese are tight and immobile.  It's also good to walk.  Several brisk 30 minute walks a week will help with recovery and cardio fitness if you are deconditioned.  Don't do anything as hard as the program minimum- everything else should be for recovery and rehabilitation.  Remember, your goal is not simply to be leaner and stronger, but to be healthy and pain-free for life.

Thanks Pavel, looking forward to being a part of this.

Steve, thanks for the input. Makes sense and I will take it onboard. The walking is covered as part of commuting and errands at lunch time. Probs about 20 to 30 minutes a day. The biggest advantage to using public transport! I live near the peak district in the UK so getting out there at the weekends is on the agenda as part of my bid to get us all more active!

Thanks Jon, a nice thing to say.  Further motivation I might add!

I've been reading, nice and slow, digesting the early stages of ETK properly this time and testing the water with TGU's.  Have to admit I can only just control the bell overhead.  I guess I can practice form with any object or 'naked' as it were.  I can get a couple done on each side successfully but the form is appalling lol.

Looking forward to breaking in then putting together a schedule.  I definitely need the schedule to stick with it properly and the TGU, Swing split 2 times a week looks good!

Hi Neil, congrats on your dedication to change, acknowledging you're dissatisfied is a huge first step!  I would recommend Geoff Neupert's blogs, emails, and most importantly programming.  His experience I think will resonate most given your goals.

I myself used to be 250 lbs. @ 6' 2," very fat and "depressed" and currently live @ 190-200 thanks to the wisdom of Pavel and this community.  In the end what you eat will determine your success, and I'd suggest reading and applying the principles laid out by Neupert and also learn about metabolic typing and lifestyle modifications from Paul Chek's "How to Eat, Move and be Healthy" (the book is around $17 on amazon).

One question; you mentioned excessive alcohol consumption twice, why not just quit?  It has no health benefit and robs your system of energy.  There are far better ways to relax and the money saved removes A LOT of dis-stress.  I speak from experience on this one as well :)

Oh dear, this is where I tentatively poke my head around the corner, hold my hand up and say that I've wasted almost another year without putting words into actions.

Long story short, my kid turned 1 exactly 1 week after my last post on this thread and that same night we found out we were having a 2nd child.  The following 9 months were not so easy but we are out the other side with a beautiful 12 weeks old baby girl.  Thats the last, it was alway 2 kids then done lol.  So with that I can't stop with the excuses now.  This is my lot.  Me my Wife, and 2 kids and now I need to do something with it.

The release of S&S got my attention again!  I'd joined a Gym thinking they have a good range of bells so it's cheaper than buying some, but not after about 6 months worth of subscription fees so now it's back to basics, and to head advice from the beginning of this thread about sticking to one thing.

So this is it.  Bye to the Gym and to fannying about, talking about what I'm going to do.  Bar a bit of swimming (love swimming!) it's S&S all the way, and some new bells to get me going (as per the thread I started asking for recommendations).

Next post is in the S&S progress thread, after my first session later.  Wish me luck.  Going to stick around this time (walk the walk!)  :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom