all posts post new thread

Old Forum Introducing Seniors to StrongFirst methods

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

DaveinOhio

First Post
In another forum that I visit regularly, a fellow with a few years life experience posted this:

" I use to be able to grip a sheet of 3/4 X 4 x 8 plywood by its top edge and tote it a short distance to where I wanted it, NO LONGER. Also with that revelation that nature and time has present me,  just to pull that 4 x 8 sheet out of the rack, then to move it around to turn it horizontal to cut down to size, THEN to straight it back up and get the remainder back into that rack,,,well I am slowing down and apparently also getting a lot weaker."

This led to another discussion of ways to, at the least, maintain one's strength level as one ages, if not improve it. I would be appreciative if the SF community could make some recommendations suitable for somewhat older fellows who may not have a background in "exercising" so much as they do in just performing physical labor some of the time, and wish to maintain their capabilities as much as possible.

Functional strength is a StrongFirst forte, so I am sure that there are good ideas to be found here.

Dave

Dave,

1.  Buy Kettebell Simple & Sinister.

2.  Read.

3.  Do.
Very little needs to change.  I didn't start lifting weights until my early 40's and am still at it as I approach 60.
The only possible modification is related to recovery time but even there, if a trainee truly takes in the essential "easy strength" approach of S&S, you won't be changing anything, you just might progress more slowly than someone younger.  For a more traditional strength and/or conditioning program with heavy days, more rest might be needed - but not here.

The book and its methods are as close to an anti-aging prescription as one could ever hope for.  Buy, read, do.

-S-

Dave, the first step is a thorough physical and learning what are one's limitations are.  E.g., many seniors would find power breathing counterindicated.

Steve's recommendation of S&S is spot on for most.

Steve and Pavel;

Thanks for the quick replies, gents. I have taken the liberty of quoting your entire comments in the thread on the other forum, so the guys can read it for themselves.

Power to you both!

Dave

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom