all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Is it ok to do more than 5 ladders of 1,2,3,4,5?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

NonStop

Level 5 Valued Member
I recently managed to complete a goal of 10x2,3,5 of BW neutral chins with 45secs rest. I want to attempt the same with only 30secs rest, however, first I was thinking of hitting around 100reps with the original 1,2,3,4,5 format from ETK, so doing 7x1,2,3,4,5. This way I'm spreading the same volume over a few more extra sets, but still overall should be a shorter workout. What do you people think?

@NonStop, yes, it's possible, but please tell us what the goal of the training is.

-S-

Cheers. At the moment its to increase strength endurance and hypertrophy through training with ladders. Pavel himself said ladder training works for hypertophy so long as the rest periods are short (and indeed past experience has shown that to be true); ladder's for hypertrophy

I've chosen ladders as they're one of the best ways to maximise volume, which is perfect as at the moment trying to rinse all the gains I can get from doing just BW training for the upper body with neutral chins and parallel bar dips. Ultimately aiming for 10x2,3,5 with 30secs rest between all sets.

The only question I have is: how much more hypertrophy-friendly is 30 seconds than 45 seconds? I don't know, but it sounds like you're going to find out, so please report on how it goes. Doing the same work in less time is generally a good thing - it means you're stronger.

-S-

The only question I have is: how much more hypertrophy-friendly is 30 seconds than 45 seconds? I don't know, but it sounds like you're going to find out, so please report on how it goes. Doing the same work in less time is generally a good thing - it means you're stronger.

-S-

That is a very good point, and I have to admit I don't know! Like you said compressing same volume into shorter workouts is good for strength and hypertrophy, so we'll see. If I remember correctly in ROTK Pavel recommends compressing workouts. Part of my reasoning is also psychology, I like being able to do a lot of work in as little time as possible, especially as I'm training 4 days a week. I do know in the sort time since I've upped my volume from around 50reps (through 10x5/8x6) to aiming for 100reps (through ladders) my appetite has massively increased.

@NonStop, if memory serves, Pavel does recommend compressing workouts, but I don't think there are specific guidelines; rather, I think he advises to compress until you can't compress more. What I like about that approach, or at least that way of talking about it, is the implication that you are self-monitoring as to recovery time and not just watching a clock.

Let us know how it works out for you.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom