all posts post new thread

Old Forum Is the TSC the Gold Standard?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

amdemarais

Level 5 Valued Member
The more I ponder the Tactical Strength Challenge the more I believe that most people training to get "in shape" would benefit by simply training for the TSC.  Even if they don't compete, would this not be the way to go?  Individuals that don't compete could simply test the 3 events twice a year to track progress and I have to imagine that progress in the DL, Pullup and Snatch will have a carryover effect leading to better body comp, increased muscle mass, better endurance, etc.  As it is stated:

"Preparing for a max deadlift, a maximum number of pullups and maximum repetitions of a kettlebell snatch places a demand and requires your focus on all three types of strength training; maximal strength, bodyweight strength and cardio-vascular endurance."

By hitting all three types of strength, we are leaving nothing behind and minimizing weak links in the chain.  We have seen great articles by top performers in the TSC.  Perhaps an entire book dedicated to training for the TSC is in order?  Now that would be something...

Amdemarais, I like your take.

Ladies and gentlemen, <strong style="font-size: 13px;">I will write personalized deadlift or pullup programs for the 20 people whose names will be randomly drawn from the first 100 registrants for the October TSC.</strong>

http://www.strongfirst.com/tactical-strength-challenge-results-news-prizes-tips

Amdemarals,

I like what you're thinking here too, but many people won't transition to the snatch - they simply don't like the "growing pains" of the learning curve.  Maybe 1-h swings, a la S&S would sub out well here, for all around fitness.

I agree that the snatch can be a difficult sell at times, but if they can do a 1H swing they can do a high pull.  If they can do a high pull, surely they can quickly raise their hand at the top of a high pull like an excited 1st grader.  I find that more people have trouble with the kb clean than the snatch for whatever reason.

Amdemarais,

Teaching trick ... instruct the clean and snatch from the top down - folks "get it" quicker, in my experience.

Al Ciampa taught me to teach and then I taught for 18 months under him.  The snatch is easier to teach than the clean because the snatch finishes with the arm straight up and fully extended or it doesn't.  Period.  Once the trainee feels a "good" snatch, he/she will stop catching it halfway.  The clean, on the other hand, is harder to catch properly.  Like Al says, it's much better coached from the bottom down.  For me, the cue that works best is I show the trainee a clean and say that I'm drawing a "J." You want to make as tight a "J" as possible that lands in the V created by the cleaning arm.

As far as training for high rep snatches, I was surprised at, after a month of snatching, how few trainees were able to snatch for 5 minutes.  One thing that did help was to remind the trainees that they did not have to equal the snatches per arm:  i.e., if the right arm is stronger, do 7 right, 5 left or 10 right, 8 left, etc.  This usually resulted in trainees getting more on their 5 & 10 minute snatch tests.

I'd ask Al to correct me where I'm wrong, but I don't have to ask!!  ;)

I like the idea of teaching from the top down.  For the snatch do you have the student start overhead or from a rack?  I could see new students hesitating dropping from the OH position and being more comfortable dropping from a rack then snatching over head, bringing back to rack, repeat, etc.

Well, we've already been through extensive 1-h swing and clean training by the time we get to the snatch.  So, no, we start them from overhead as a top-down method.  Dive in head first, grasshopper.

During a staff meeting a couple months ago one of my trainers questioned whether we should host the TSC twice a year or only in April. Was twice a year too much training on only 3 lifts? I put the question back at them to come up with a better combination of lifts to train for our general clientel. Sure you could focus on what one individual might need, but in general, this is as comprehensive as it gets from 3 exercises. Use what works...

-Dan

Lucky me, there is a TSC nearby in Biloxi MS!  I signed up!  I am new to this but I'll give it a try.  It will give me a good goal to target and keep me focused the next few months.  I hope I know what I am getting myself into...

I agree with this line of thinking. Training for the TSC would be an excellent way to ensure that you are pursuing a set of attributes that would make you a well-rounded "total package" athlete/soldier/police officer, etc.

Somewhat off topic- where can I find a list of locations for the October 4th TSC?

The hosting gyms are listed during the registration process. Listing them on the TSC page would be a worthwhile addition.....  (Hint, Hint)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom