all posts post new thread

Old Forum ISO hold question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

GeoffreyLevens

Level 6 Valued Member
Just for fun, started working to see if I can develop ability to do a floor based manna, gymnastics hold. I have  a LONG ways to go. Can to hanging leg raises to the bar, maybe 3 reps but at this point not a floor based L-sit let alone a V-sit.  Found set of progressions http://bodyweighttrainingarena.com/manna-progression/  Generally, seems the recommended is to work up to 3 X 60 second holds in the various stages. At this point that would be an option at stage 1. I am wondering though if I might be better served by using an assist and getting into stage 2 for instance and doing yielding iso's where you hold a load and as fatigue sets in the load forces you into an eccentric contraction? Have read that this is better for building strength. True? mythology? Have not yet read deeply into ISO's but doing some last few days anyway...

Mism"spoke". Not an assist really, but I can hold stage one for at least 15 - 3o seconds but stage two only 1 -2 seconds or not at all after a couple go rounds. So I could sort of hoik it up there and let gravity drag me down against my resistance; sort of a forced negative

I don't work with manna but i practice other static skills. The short sets like 5-12 seconds with full total body tension work for me very well. If you are comfortable with 5 sets of 12 seconds, you have total 60 seconds work. Then try to test the progression in one set, and when you can hold it comfortable for 15 sec or more (Sommer recomendation), move to another progression.

Hope that helps a little.

And one more thing on side. High tension techniques and solid,strong hollow positions work like MAGIC. Once for fun i tried to do back lever on rings and i was able to do it. I never practiced it before, just One-Arm pushups and hollow pullups with laser focus on generating more tension.

I am not expert on the topic and i am looking forward to own Bodyweight cert this year to learn a lot of more on subject and increase my skills.

Looking for Pavel opinion here.

Thank you that is helpful. Yesterday could not get feet off the ground in fully tucked position.  This morning did 8 X 10-15 second holds!  Early stages = fast progress. Maybe neuro learning more than actual muscle strength at this point?

Geoffrey, isos done in the range of several seconds to several minutes have been proven to work.  If you follow Chris Sommer's progression, just stick with it and do not overthink.

Luko is spot on about the value of HP practice.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom