all posts post new thread

Strong Endurance Isometrics

I have just read about the various Alactic training approaches.

AXE heavy with enough recovery EMOM. Targeting typeIIx fibres making the mitochondria efficient.

Q&D fast maximal efforts e.g. kettkebell swings x10/pressups x10 superset to build mitochondria and increase their size.

Super Slow intrigues me. Taking it to its slowest movement, I.e. Isometric tension, what isometric Alactic protocols might provide similar adaptations to Q&D, AXE and SS?

Tim (triathlete and sports science student).

Personally, I think Super Slow and (overcoming) isometrics have less in common than might be supposed.

Iso recruits high threshold MUs straight away. I'd think whatever mechanisms that work for Q&D would also be present in Iso to some extent. You'd have to pin down how much glycolysis is involved in your Isometrics, and if local clearance was an important factor.

I have just read about the various Alactic training approaches.

AXE heavy with enough recovery EMOM. Targeting typeIIx fibres making the mitochondria efficient.

Q&D fast maximal efforts e.g. kettkebell swings x10/pressups x10 superset to build mitochondria and increase their size.

Super Slow intrigues me. Taking it to its slowest movement, I.e. Isometric tension, what isometric Alactic protocols might provide similar adaptations to Q&D, AXE and SS?

Tim (triathlete and sports science student).

I am interested as well.
Personally, I think Super Slow and (overcoming) isometrics have less in common than might be supposed.

Iso recruits high threshold MUs straight away. I'd think whatever mechanisms that work for Q&D would also be present in Iso to some extent. You'd have to pin down how much glycolysis is involved in your Isometrics, and if local clearance was an important factor.
In my opinion, you can train isometrics in different ways. If for strength - use maximum contraction for few seconds, which is you "set".
When it comes to muscular endurance, you have basically two options, both of them with light(er) weight.

First one - hold as long as you can, naturally with a lot of glycolysis, not interesting here in AGT discussion.

Second one - which is the one I think is similar to super slow work - is to perform as much sets as possible while avoiding glycolysis as much as possible, i.e. long rests with a lot of fast and loose drills.

I was exploring this second one when I was preparing for RedBull 400 - 400m run to steep slope, see image:

I used sets of 50-90 seconds, with the rest at least 15 times of the length of set. If the set lasted for one minute, I rested at least 15 minutes and did this in GTG fashion during day. Up to 20 sets in heavy day.

I also did my swings and had several sessions of hill sprinting before competition, so I can say the iso part was most significant in my training.

My respiratory system failed in no time, but my legs were in fire even earlier :D But at the end, my time was not that bad - percentile around 75. And I was 83kg meathead not particularly interested in running. Top 50 places went to light guys who could chase deer.

Steve Justa described "isometric aerobics" in one of his books and it sounded a lot like AXE training.

OP, I just want to suggest you hide your email because bots are probably adding you to all kinds of spam lists.

To my understanding, a big part at least of Q&D is spike of lactate from activation of high threshold MUs, followed by clearance. Identical dynamic as HIIT but with targeted effect. If the predominant response to HIIT is increased muscle oxidative capacity, a similar effect should be observed from Q&D, only the glucose depletion is more or less restricted to the target region.

Short of a biopsy to do a mitichondrial count, I'm not sure how you would be able to objectively measure, aside from a baseline test/re-test.

Isometrics (overcoming) likewise target high threshold MUs, I am unclear how the metabolic dynamic plays out compared to traditional resistance training though. This would be a pivotal factor to establish. I only have ever used Iso with HIIT, so I get my glucose depletion from other avenues (or maybe in addition to...). I have read studies that sussed out rough % of fiber type recruitment by % Iso effort level, but they never referenced comparable traditional resistance training values.

Use of slow movements or sub-max Iso is not going to hit high threshold MUs off the bat, this is a great strategy for hitting type 1 fiber.

TL;DR - I don't know :)

To my understanding, a big part at least of Q&D is spike of lactate from activation of high threshold MUs, followed by clearance. Identical dynamic as HIIT but with targeted effect. If the predominant response to HIIT is increased muscle oxidative capacity, a similar effect should be observed from Q&D, only the glucose depletion is more or less restricted to the target region.

Short of a biopsy to do a mitichondrial count, I'm not sure how you would be able to objectively measure, aside from a baseline test/re-test.

Isometrics (overcoming) likewise target high threshold MUs, I am unclear how the metabolic dynamic plays out compared to traditional resistance training though. This would be a pivotal factor to establish. I only have ever used Iso with HIIT, so I get my glucose depletion from other avenues (or maybe in addition to...). I have read studies that sussed out rough % of fiber type recruitment by % Iso effort level, but they never referenced comparable traditional resistance training values.

Use of slow movements or sub-max Iso is not going to hit high threshold MUs off the bat, this is a great strategy for hitting type 1 fiber.

TL;DR - I don't know :)
As an aside: this is one "issue" with some programs that purport very specific physiological changes, whether it's mitochondria count, fiber type, sarcoplasmic vs. myofibrillar hypertrophy. Such programs at least seem to achieve those goals based on subsequent performance of the trainees. I think that is a better measure. That is, did muscles get bigger/stronger/faster? Did work capacity go up? Goal acheived.

As to the OP and isometrics: I'm not so sure, like @North Coast Miller said, that things like mitochondria count can be measured to verify whether isometrics would have a similar effects. I would instead refer to my above statement: will it improve your body composition and/or performance? If looked at that way, then yes, isometrics would.

If you want to stay "alactic," I suggest programming your isos in a way that gives you high intensity, shorter duration holds. Longer duration holds (including "super slow" reps) will accumulate more metabolic byproducts because of the blood occlusion to your muscles.

Refer to Steven Lows tables for isometrics for assistance:

All that being said, I would take a somewhat educated guess and say:
. . .for Q&D pushups, no. For the getup portion of S&S, maybe. For all of the swinging, probably not. "S&S with isometrics" is not S&S. If you are really interested in isometrics, I would find and follow some program written around them.

As a last aside note: unless one is talking about overcoming isos specifically, I am always a bit befuddled that no one wants to mention calisthenics/gymnastic strength training, both of which have a heavy isometric element, and both of which can be programmed safely and effectively for varying ages and body types.

I am always a bit befuddled that no one wants to mention calisthenics/gymnastic strength training, both of which have a heavy isometric element, and both of which can be programmed safely and effectively for varying ages and body types.

They also have a crazy high skill component and are very difficult for higher BMI folk or those with bad wrists etc to advance.

Anyone can do basic calisthenics (or an iso program that incorporates standard lift mechanics), you have to be in very good shape just to get into position for gymnastic isos.

I would instead refer to my above statement: will it improve your body composition and/or performance? If looked at that way, then yes, isometrics would.

From my n=1 observation, the best responses from iso are:

- movement speed increase/ RFD improvement, along with "lock in" tension.

- joint integrity/robustness

There are plenty of others, but these two really stand out after 2+ years, as uncommonly notable compared to other resistance training formats.

Reading into some of the research, there are some marked differences between iso and traditional at a fundamental level.

- reduced muscle oxidative demand, but with similar blood lactate levels. Presumably this represents a decreased total utilization of glucose at 'matched' workloads. If it were only due to reduced type 1 recruitment you would expect to see higher levels of blood lactate.

- slower myosin cross chain cycling with longer duration crosslink uptime. This is a similar dynamic to what is observed in an overloaded (forced to longer muscle length at max voluntary contraction) eccentric contraction.

Some interesting observations from crossover research:

- Following a moderate load (average 70%rm) training block with a high load (average 85%rm) block, made no difference in isometric peak force development, but did improve isometric rate of force production. Peak force was unchanged by the heavier load training. This tracks with part a Schoenfeld meta that noted similar increase in isometric strength among moderate and heavy load trainees, despite notable strength differences on tested lifts, in favor of heavier training.

what isometric Alactic protocols might provide similar adaptations to Q&D, AXE and SS?

Not quite isometric, but slow tension:

The relationship of these protocols (also called "Super Slow 2.0) is explained in this article:

Back
Top Bottom