all posts post new thread

Old Forum Jefferson curl?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

the hansenator

Level 6 Valued Member
Is anyone familiar with the Jefferson curl? I've seen it as part of a progression for manna from gymnastics. Watching it makes me nervous but I wanted to see what people here know about it.

Thanks.

Or, you can do the Jefferson Clean and Jerk. Be sure to explode off the floor.

(Attempt at humor)

Jefferson clean & jerk -- humor attempt WIN!

In Beyond Bodybuilding it's called the Tommy Kono loosening deadlift.  It's in that weird exercise category of "imperfection training."

In S&S Pavel includes the Russian P.E. forward bending anatomical breathing drill.

I did some variation of this drill. Standing on a box with 16kg kettlebell and slowly go down. One great tip from Pavel "Resilient" is to visualize that imaginary belt pull your hips to the sky. Be very careful with this exercise and don't go heavy, no need i think.

For me it was cool way to loosen up my back and stretch my hamstrings. Some kind of advanced toe touch stretch.

"It depends"

http://www.strongfirst.com/topic/good-interview-with-dr-mcgill/

Dr. McGill had seemed like the anti-flexion purist, but then had this great interview with Bret Contreras.

It must be tough for a coach; the temptation is to only recommend "safe" exercises, but then you're setting up the trainee to get hurt out there in the real world.  I like what Pavel wrote in S&S -- Be a responsible adult, not a victim.

Personally I like lumbar flexion, minimize side bending, and hate twisting.

I think it depends from the purpose.

Martial artists can benefit from drills like that (Jefferson curl, hockey deadlift). Marathon runners not really.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom