all posts post new thread

Old Forum Just finished my grueling physical test

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

guacadoggie

Level 3 Valued Member
Saturday was my Black Belt pre-test.  I've never done Crossfit before, but one of the other guys taking the test said it felt similar, just way longer (it was just over 4 hours).

We did all sorts of various bodyweight exercises along with a few medicine ball exercises.  The day started with a 1.5 mile run (not jog), as many pull-ups in two sets of 30 seconds, as many push-ups in 2 straight minutes, as many sit-ups in 2 straight minutes; then other things like burpees, mountain-climbers, planks, jump to squats, medicine ball toss, v-ups, and much more.

I feel like I fared quite well, especially compared to the rest of the people (8 of us tested).  My calves were pretty worn out, but I felt pretty good throughout the whole thing, which I attribute mostly to diet and being on my 35th week of the ROP (with weighted pull-ups).

But, nobody testing hit the minimum requirement of push-ups or sit-ups.  I did 39 perfect push-ups (according to my partner, I was the only in the room who stayed neutral, kept my arms by my side, and wasn't sagging my butt or sticking it in the air).  And 51 sit-ups (only one who went all the way to my knees).  But, 100 was the mark, and I obviously missed that by a long-shot.  After the test, I asked my instructor what a push-up looks like to him, and he showed it with his arms out, forming a "T" with his body and arms.  To me, that's incorrect form, and doesn't require you to go as far up as when your arms are tucked by your side.

I guess I'm done with my story...  So, now my question:  Should I alter my exercise regimen to prepare for my real Black Belt test in two months so that I can hit those 100-rep minimums?  I know anything added to the ROP is not the ROP anymore.  I've been progressing quite well with it, and don't want to interfere, but I need to figure some way to hit those marks.  Maybe just do it with bad form?  Put the ROP on the back-burner until my test and just work bodyweight exercises?

Thanks for any input and the patience to read the long introduction!

Couple different options, you could stay on the ROP and add these exercises onto your variety day. That wouldn't give you a ton of volume, but some additional practice. Maybe throw a very low volume into your warm up too to help practice.

Another option would be to take a short break from the ROP, and do something like the PM while GTG with the push ups. A couple weeks of that will drive your numbers up big time. I'm not a huge fan of a high volume of sit ups, but RKC plank and other ab exercises would help to strengthen the same muscles.

In terms of form, definitely don't do anything "bad" in terms of less safe, but if they're not testing for full range of motion, then you have to play to the test. In your workouts keep the focus on technique, but come test day it'll probably be okay to slack on the range of motion a little bit. Also, make sure not to go to failure, stop a couple reps before, take a few breaths and then pump a few more reps out.

Arryn,

I may have missed this: is it 100 reps each for push ups and sit ups in 2min per?

Also what is the acceptable form for push ups and what kind of sit ups (knees bent?)?

I ask because I have my Mil people train differently than the test, then practice the test measures prior to testing; with a lot of success.  Sounds like you're going through the same thing here.

-Al

Arryn, when in Rome, do as the Romans do, and when in your dojo, perform pushups the way your instructor wants you to do them.  If you prefer the StrongFirst version of the movement - I know I certainly do - then only train a little as you need to in order to make the mark for your test.

I remember when I was a martial arts student - my teacher was a grand master, but all he cared about was the number of pushups you could do, and even his pushups looked awful to me.  The point, at least what I took away from it all as the point, was the mental toughness to do a lot of reps, not the quality of the movement.

Hope that helps.

-S-

there is a 2 week pushup program in beyond bodybuilding that should get you there if you have the time for it. it kind of organised gtg you do a test and then acording to the test you do a % of that. everyday the % and the intevals change. i tried it a few years back. its grooling but will double your numbers (if not more) in the 2 weeks.

Thank you guys for the help!

Andy, the PM seems like a good idea.  Should I increase the weight for the get-ups, though? I'm using the 24kg for ROP now.  We were also tested on the RKC plank, so I guess that could be a two birds, one stone sort of thing...

Al, it's 100 push-ups in two minutes, then 100 sit-ups in two minutes.  Any form is acceptable, so long as we hit the 100 rep mark (which won't happen if you do a proper push-up).

Steve, that makes sense about the mental toughness and doing them just to meet the mark. Plus, my instructor specializes in martial arts, not exercise movements.  So I guess I can't hold it against him!

Chris, thanks for the tip.  I have the book; I'll check it out.

We do not have push up or sit up requirements for our black belts. Just lots of Kihon,Kata and then lots and lots of full contact sparring.

That being said I agree with Steve Freides. You will probably have to do it the way they want it to pass. Then go back to your proper routine.

The ARMY PT test seems similar and 100 push ups with good form is possible although we only had to come down to a fist's width from the floor. Not sure what your bottom position is. 100 sit ups is possible too, but your back is probably going to bounce off the floor. I don't think you have to choose between the "right" or "wrong" way to do the exercises, but the wrong way might be easier. It sounded like any form would do, so you'll just have to work harder if you choose to use the "correct" form. I personally don't think you need to make the sacrifice on form based on your starting point, but in the end, passing is the key. You get to choose if proper form is worth failing the test if you're unable to get your numbers up.

I'd start with the 24, as you get more comfortable doing the Get Ups increase the bell size. Same with the swings.

Why?  Are you suggesting that the martial arts taught is lackluster because of improper push-up form? Besides, your comment was irrelevant to this thread.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom